SHANNON ESTUARY SAC ?????

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:13 pm

I want to get a show of hands of people who would be genuinely interested is the setting up of a club for the Shannon Estuary (south) region. The club would hold regular monthly competitions and meets throughout the year.

This topic came up about a year ago and Steve's Fishing shop in Limerick took up the cause and collected 25 -30 names and submitted details to the IFSA. As far as I know sufficent information was not submitted and the cause was never followed up on. The list of names is probably long gone.

I propose we initially set up a club along the lines of Shannon SAC in Co.Clare who are not IFSA Affiliated but receive similar insurance cover as clubs that are. This way we will be able to hold competions alot quicker than having to wait for the IFSA process. Once the club is set up we can then apply for IFSA membership.

Anyone that is genuinely interested can PM me there names and contact details. I think there is enough interest out there.

I would also like to invite any suggestions people have and from people who are members of clubs that are not IFSA affiliated.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Ya im up for this, would be nice to start having competitions in the estuary again.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 am

Hi John,

I'd be up for it. For me any part of the weekend would suit except Saturday night. If we were serious about this it would be worth while getting the names off steve. He said he passed the responsibilty of setting up the club over to a customer who never got back. I wouldn't be to pushed about reseting up his club as I'd prefer it to be run my the members rather than being tied to one tackle shop. I think the name shannon estuary SAC might confuse us with shannon town ac.

Donagh

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Donagh,

Would you be able to find out off someone in Shannon Town SAC about the insurance package they have and how we might go about getting insurance for our proposed club.

The name might confuse some people with Shannon Town SAC but I don't think that this should make us change from the obvious name for the club.I think that the name Shannon Estuary SAC attaches us directly to the shannon estuary region. They would be no confusion about where we might be located.

I think if we put a couple of Flyers with contact info up in Steve's, Bond's , Limerick Angling Centre and Halpins in Listowel, we should get a responce. All the better if we can get that list.

There would always be 5-6 anglers from Tralee Bay SAC who would be interesed.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am

I'll get in contact with the guys in Shannon town to find out where they got their insurance.

Donagh

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:20 pm

count me in, funny this has come up again was in steves the last day and he mentioned this again i think there is someone else looking into it aswel at the mo . . .

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 pm

I've got a quote from allianz for 450 euro for 30 members. If we got it going next year it would be good to join the ifsa. Theres a tradition with the west coast munster clubs of fishing each others competitions under the cover of ifsa insurance.

I'd agree with have a name that reflect the area. Possible other names would be:
North kerry and Limerick SAC
South Shore Shannon Estuary SAC
or just
Limerick SAC

What should be done after there are a few names together. I suppose we need to decide on a fixture list and scoring.

Donagh

Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Hope this helps
To regester to the I.F.S.A. Munster branch
Affiliation (€120), Insurance (€130) total of €250 plus €22 for each senoir member and €5 for each member under 16 years on 01.01.2007
If you need any more information you can send PM

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:17 pm

Just a few suggestions here;

I would prefer the name to do with The Shannon rather than county wise,
South Shore Shannon Estuary SAC as Donagh said or Shannon Estuary South SAC maybe?

As for venues there is Glin Shoreline, Barret Strand, Carrig East, Beal, Littor, Cashen Estuary, maybe even one trip across to the other side and fish Doonaha, Poulnasherry etc?

Size limits should just be 20cm across the board.

For scoring I would set fixed points for dogs measuring the first one say 35points and 5 fish points.

Conger under 100cm get a fixed amount of points too and over 100cm get more.

Rays should be measued from tip of nose to tail, as wingspan does not give enough points for catching a good fish, as a ray of 5lbs might have a wingspan of 45 and a dog might get 35, which isnt fair.

Huss would be a harder to do, maybe the same method as conger, say huss under 60 get same as a dog?

Most other fish will be easy to measure.

What do ye think??

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:25 pm

For animal fishing its always fairer to weigh and release and its also easier to do. The rays measured tip to tip is completely unfair especially when it comes to stingers. The cost of buying a few weigh scales to allow for immediate release would be high and there would be some very dead days so I'd agree to measuring. We could just do a straight copy of tralee bays rules. Don't they give a bonus for ray as well as measuring nose to tail. I'd prefer a 25cm limit as it would still include the better dabs but leave out alot of tiddlers.

Venues sound fine. Depending on the size of the comps carrig west, coalhill and kilteery shore could be added but there may be safety issues involved. Would ballylongford be a waste of time. I've no objections to fishing the clare side of the estuary but I've never found it any better than ours. Maybe fish a comp in ballyreen or blackhead for a change.

Donagh

Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:25 am

Ya i can see your point with stingers alright, bonus should be added for them.

I think ballylongford would be a waste of time in daylight yes, but maybe further to the left, there is a nice bay which could fish well in darkness and is easy to get to. This could be a venue too. Fishing into darkness would lead to better comps as the amount of fish caught will defny increase.

Carig West would be too unfair for a comp as there is some serious rough patches there.

First year id suggest fishing locally to get the club settled and then add venues further afield in years after.

Ballyheigue beach would also be a nice venue to fish.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:29 am

For animal fishing its always fairer to weigh and release and its also easier to do

totally disagree with this, the day off weigh and return is long gone, regardless of the fish your catching.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 am

I have to also disagree with the weighing system. It has got to be Measure and return. This is the way it is done nearly everywhere. You cannot argue with the accuracy of an Ian golds match measure but weighing scales are very doddy. A fellow can always weight his own fish after it has been measured.

Anyway lads I think that we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves with rules and regulations at this early stage. Lets get the club set up first.

As far as rules and regulations we should not deviate from the norm. For the name of the club I think it is a no brainer "SHANNON ESTUARY SAC" why would we waste our time calling it something else.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:28 am

As said I'd go for measuring system so theres no point debating it. I just thought I'd mention it as its the one I'm used to and its in the shannon and fanore clubs. Fair enough to stick to the orignal list of marks. I'd like to have some of the comps on a friday night to fish into darkness. Its worth while getting these points ironed out because at least someone joining will know where the club will be fishing and what days will suit before they say yes they'll join.

Donagh
Last edited by Donagh on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:01 am

Donal,

Forgot to say thanks for the IFSA information.

Donagh

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 am

John you got mail

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am

A suggestion re measurement points on rays give thornies say 40 points per fish + 1 point per cm wingspan and give stingers say 60 points per fish + 1 point per cm. A lot of clubs give fixed points for dogs and only measure the first two in the event of a tie a the end. The best way to sort out the points system is to meet up on a venue with a scales and measurement stick. You'll probley spend the rest of of the year trying to get it right and to please everyone. Been doing the measurement system for over 4 years and there is always someone out there with a better system. Trial and error is the only way.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 pm

JOHN LYNCH wrote:For the name of the club I think it is a no brainer "SHANNON ESTUARY SAC" why would we waste our time calling it something else.

Ya that name is perfect

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 pm

So any new developments with this??

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:13 pm

I have about 15 names now. I am not getting any replies from this site or the flyers we put up yet.

I have done up a provisional fixtures list also.