Switch to full style
Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Fishing Dublin / Wicklow / Louth

Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Just wondering if there is anyone here fishing Dublin bay or Rush/ Skerries area with a small boat over the next few weeks? I’m just ready to launch my recently refurbished Shetland 535 and whilst I have every faith in it and I carry a back up engine, it would be most welcome to have a few boats not only for the moral support but also looking for pointers on where i should be fishing based on recent outings over past 12 months?Plus I’m fairly new to boating in general and I do have plans to join a local club, but it would be nice to know any members here that could point me in the right direction and maybe give me an opinion of a good place to moor it during the summer? I’m thinking Rush but if anyone can advise a better place I’m all ears. Willing to go down as far as Wicklow and up as far as Carlingford. Basically anywhere within 90 minutes drive from Dublin. PM’s also welcome :-)

Re: Fishing Dublin / Wicklow / Louth

Tue May 15, 2018 9:54 am

My boat will be going into Courtown Harbour (about 45 minutes from M50 - Bray) before the end of the month. You're welcome to buddy up for a trip or 2. Fishing is mostly at anchor for Tope, Smoothound, Ray & Huss.

Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks very much for the reply, I am very interested. I’ve been told Wexford is the best spot for fishing alright. Is it possible to keep the boat moored there? Any idea on fees?

Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Contact Courtown Sailing Club to see if there’s a mooring available. Cost would be less than €300 per season for your size of boat.

Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks very much for the info. I’ll be aiming at heading down for a look the weekend. Keep me posted on your next outing and I’ll hopefully tag along if you don’t mind?

Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

You'll need 60m of anchor rope, 3m of chain, and a plough anchor or similar.

Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

I’l bought 100M rope and 5M of chain last week. Was planning on buying a second anchor anyway so will take your advice. Thanks again

Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Sounds like you’re good to go so. I have to bring my boat down from Donegal in the next week or 2. I’ll be ready then. There’s a good slipway for launching at Cahore which is only another 5 miles further south.

Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm

A work colleague has a mobile near cahore which he mentioned had a good slip. That sounds good to me. Hopefully the weather does us a favour!!! Looking forward to it and will keep you posted

Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/irelandfis ... ahore/amp/

A piece I did for Ireland Fishing Diaries on small boat fishing at Cahore.

I’ll give you a heads up when I’m heading out!

Fri May 18, 2018 12:32 am

Great article. Really enjoyed it and has made me want to go even more now.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 pm

go to rockabill if you enjoy seals robbing your catch :)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:43 pm

really enjoyed this read too , thanks rob
Post a reply