Small Boat fishing Clogherhead

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Small Boat fishing Clogherhead

Postby Captainspanner2017+ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi All, new to the Forum but enjoying the reading so far.

Myself and the brother have bought a Shetland 535. She has a 40HP engine and seems well able for the Sea and Lake (weather permitting of course). We normally launch from Clogherhead as it is the nearest accessible Harbour.
Have had the boat out now a few times already with good fun catching Mackerel - albeit they were not a great size but numbers were decent. We started fairly late in September but there is still a few small ones about now. Few still being caught from the pier itself too.

We are just looking for any advise for that neck of the woods really but also for general boat angling advise as we are still learning (despite about 6 months research - thanks to Google lol).

Not expecting someone to answer everything here but typically looking for any pointers on any of the following:

Places to avoid?
Weather to avoid (i.e. wind direction and strength)?
Any Tips/ pointers for the best places to Fish?
Do we need to go far out or stay in near the coast?
Better to head further into the bay towards Dundalk or head south towards the mouth of the Boyne?
Best spots for fishing Low tide?
Best spots for Fishing high tide?
Any other advise that can achieve more bites?

We are targeting Cod, Whiting, Ray, Bass but mainly for sport are we are not picky! Bait used was Peeler, fresh Mackeral, Ragworm and Squid with not one bite!!!
We only plan to keep the odd Mackerel for bait and if we get a decent sized cod it will be brought home to the old man ;-)
I personally dont eat any Sea food which people always laugh about! I just enjoy getting out of the house :-)

We have only had success with Feathers so far. Have not anchored anywhere yet so all catches have been whilst drifting. We don't want to be wasting petrol driving for hours but do plan an taking it on some long spins in the summer. Maybe Carlingford and Skerries/ Howth too which I see there is plenty of advice on here already.

Heading out on the boat again tomorrow and maybe Sunday as the winds are looking good so would really appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks in advance
Captainspanner2017+

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum