Cod in Galway Bay?

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Cod in Galway Bay?

Postby KMK11 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

I've had a quick "search" for cod fishing info in Galway Bay but there doesn't seem to be much. Am I wasting my time trying to target them over the winter in the Bay, should I set my sights a bit further afield - around the Islands perhaps?
KMK11
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Cod in Galway Bay?

Postby corbyeire » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:41 am

i know nothing about the boat, but as far as i have overheard - you are out to the reefs around the islands to get any cod - there are none around the shores in the inner bay - i know that from experience

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks: 2
KMK11 (Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 am), the weasel (Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby KMK11 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks Corbyeire. The only shore fishing that I've done to any real extent is lure fishing for bass but I gather I'll need to head a bit further south for that.

I've picked up some local boat advice elsewhere so I'm going to head out on Friday & see about putting it into action! 8)
KMK11
SAI Lug Worm

Postby stevecrow74 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Only seeing this now, there’s should be a few starting to show up in the bay, but of no real size, should be a few in as far as spiddle but only a few lbs of your lucky. Inverine bank and the brocklinmore bank will hold a few larger fish around 5lbs, the killa patch and the gurnet patch should hold a few too, also had haddock in those marks too, the larger ones 10lbs plus will be outside the islands in deeper water, but you might be lucky to get one inside the bay too ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]

For this message the author stevecrow74 has received thanks:
the weasel (Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am)
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby KMK11 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheers Steve, that's pretty much exactly what I've found. Had a couple of 5lbers in some of the areas you mentioned but not had the chance to get west of the Islands or pick up a double figure cod yet...hopefully both will be accomplished soon! :mrgreen:

For this message the author KMK11 has received thanks:
stevecrow74 (Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 pm)
KMK11
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum