greystones area

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Just got My boat back on the water this year after lying up for a bit of a rest (Ive young kids) and just looking to see if anyone has any info on marks or general areas worth trying as Ill be launching out of greystones . Most of my fishing used to be done out of Cahore and Kilmore Quay
Its a lot closer to home to launch out of greystones and will be handy for bringing the kids out too , looking at targeting anything especially tope ,ray and any other spots with a bit of sport or anywhere id pick up a few fresh mackerel out there for bait , I pressume it will be another month before the ray start to show at least ? altough i see there getting a few spurdogs at the minute

I know some people think its taboo to ask such questions(like the the time i asked about smoothies ) but hey all I can do is ask and hope for the best , Im not looking for anyone's secret spots or hotspots just a general idea

thanks

Re: greystones area

Mon May 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Greystones has decent fishing for Tope. One of the problems in the area is picking up enough fresh Mackerel to target Tope. I've had many a frustrating day trying to get mackerel for a decent session. The tope can be all over. A lot of boats tend to anchor up near the Mulditch bouy. You will see these. I have found that a Tope are on a lot of the sand backs in the area. I've had Ray, but not is any great numbers or not in any specific area, Best you can do is try a few likely spots. The better Ray will pick up a Tope bait, and if you put a smaller bait down, the dogs can really be in plague proportions and typically get to the bait much quicker.

Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks very much Mac,Perfect, just a few pointers to get started out , hopefully ill have a few marks worked out by the end of the season and hopefully repay the favour some day , fresh macs on the east coast is a disaster when tope fishing , ill always bring frozen as I've had many a day scratching for macs for bait instead of concentrating on the tope .thanks again

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Just taught id give an update,
over the last few weeks ive gota few quick sessions in out of greystones
I did a bit of drifting about with sabiki/baited hookai and picked up the odd small cod and a few micro mackerel with not a whole lot for our efforts - really only trying for a few fresh macks for bait
Headed south and anchored up in a few different spots out from the bird sanctuary where there is alot of dept changes/banks over the few outing the weather gods were not playing ball and we ended up with strong northerlys which made things a litlle bouncy and a hassle for anchoring as it burst the safety ties and with the swell was pulling on the anchor anyway over the few outing we lost a few tope - one was a double hook up but to no avail , I lost one fish to my own fault ,as when i was getting set up out of laziness and getting anchored i had none of my own made rigs and just clipped on a TRONIX PRO tope rig out of the packet and even tought i dont trust shop made traces ,i still put it on and when i struck into a running fish the crimp opened ,grrr
I mailed tronixpro and they said they had pulled those rigs last year and were looking at a new design -
anyway with two tope tagged and released and a few missed runs and crappy weather - it seems to be proding a few tope anyway - I wonder how long they hang around for ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 pm

I had my boat in Greystones for about 5 weeks last summer. I never quite cracked it. I'd imagine the Tope will be around for another couple of weeks anyway.