greystones area

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

greystones area

Postby jellybait » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Just got My boat back on the water this year after lying up for a bit of a rest (Ive young kids) and just looking to see if anyone has any info on marks or general areas worth trying as Ill be launching out of greystones . Most of my fishing used to be done out of Cahore and Kilmore Quay
Its a lot closer to home to launch out of greystones and will be handy for bringing the kids out too , looking at targeting anything especially tope ,ray and any other spots with a bit of sport or anywhere id pick up a few fresh mackerel out there for bait , I pressume it will be another month before the ray start to show at least ? altough i see there getting a few spurdogs at the minute

I know some people think its taboo to ask such questions(like the the time i asked about smoothies ) but hey all I can do is ask and hope for the best , Im not looking for anyone's secret spots or hotspots just a general idea

thanks
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Re: greystones area

Postby MAC » Mon May 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Greystones has decent fishing for Tope. One of the problems in the area is picking up enough fresh Mackerel to target Tope. I've had many a frustrating day trying to get mackerel for a decent session. The tope can be all over. A lot of boats tend to anchor up near the Mulditch bouy. You will see these. I have found that a Tope are on a lot of the sand backs in the area. I've had Ray, but not is any great numbers or not in any specific area, Best you can do is try a few likely spots. The better Ray will pick up a Tope bait, and if you put a smaller bait down, the dogs can really be in plague proportions and typically get to the bait much quicker.
><º> ><º>

><º>

For this message the author MAC has received thanks:
donal domeney (Mon May 09, 2016 4:43 pm)
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby jellybait » Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks very much Mac,Perfect, just a few pointers to get started out , hopefully ill have a few marks worked out by the end of the season and hopefully repay the favour some day , fresh macs on the east coast is a disaster when tope fishing , ill always bring frozen as I've had many a day scratching for macs for bait instead of concentrating on the tope .thanks again
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Postby jellybait » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Just taught id give an update,
over the last few weeks ive gota few quick sessions in out of greystones
I did a bit of drifting about with sabiki/baited hookai and picked up the odd small cod and a few micro mackerel with not a whole lot for our efforts - really only trying for a few fresh macks for bait
Headed south and anchored up in a few different spots out from the bird sanctuary where there is alot of dept changes/banks over the few outing the weather gods were not playing ball and we ended up with strong northerlys which made things a litlle bouncy and a hassle for anchoring as it burst the safety ties and with the swell was pulling on the anchor anyway over the few outing we lost a few tope - one was a double hook up but to no avail , I lost one fish to my own fault ,as when i was getting set up out of laziness and getting anchored i had none of my own made rigs and just clipped on a TRONIX PRO tope rig out of the packet and even tought i dont trust shop made traces ,i still put it on and when i struck into a running fish the crimp opened ,grrr
I mailed tronixpro and they said they had pulled those rigs last year and were looking at a new design -
anyway with two tope tagged and released and a few missed runs and crappy weather - it seems to be proding a few tope anyway - I wonder how long they hang around for ?
Attachments
tope 2(1).jpg
tope 2(1).jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 513 times
tope3(1).jpg
tope3(1).jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 513 times
tope1(1).jpg
tope1(1).jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 513 times

For this message the author jellybait has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:57 pm)
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Rob Millard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 pm

I had my boat in Greystones for about 5 weeks last summer. I never quite cracked it. I'd imagine the Tope will be around for another couple of weeks anyway.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum