Trying to get the girlfriend into fishing

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Guys

I'm hoping to get the girlfriend out fishing tomorrow and i was just looking for some pointers on a spot close to the shore where she might have the best possible chance at catching something. Species wise it doesn't matter. It would be nice for her to just catch something.

We'll both be fishing from kayaks but shes a beginner so we would stay close to the shore.

I know its a tricky month as its too early for most fish as the water is still a bit cold. Saltwater or Fresh water doesn't really matter. Somewhere in Dublin or slightly north or south, mainly just somewhere which will be sheltered from the westerly winds forecasted for tomorrow. Is there any small sheltered bays where Wrasse or Pollock could be around early. Or maybe a small pike lake with good shelter.

Thanks lads, any help appreciated.

John

Re: Trying to get the girlfriend into fishing

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

good luck - if she can get over the ichy baits your on a winner

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm

I'd go with lure fishing as you don't have the ichy baits problem. The pike are beginning to lie up in the shallows for the warmth and will be getting feisty given its breeding time. If you get a half decent day at all, I reckon you could use shallow fishing lures effectively in Wicklow.

On the sea, try launching out of Howth Harbour and follow the coast around EAST along the rocks for shallow water Pollack and coalfish fishing. If you are feeling very game, you can head across to Ireland's eye. The only issue may be the commerical and leisure boat traffic. If you don't mind the hauling, you could launch from the small beach behind the harbour.

If you do, this gives you the option to paddle out to the "nose" of Howth, where you have the bird colony on the cliffs;- there are big wrasse under the two stacks but watch for the eddy currents and tidal race there, perhaps not a spot for a beginner.

There is also plenty of smaller pollack and coalfish on the reefs but it is a tackle hungry spot so use lure savers when jigging. People have reported gurnard and dogfish from the "cat rock" about a third of the way out from the small beach.

Good luck!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:27 pm

corbyeire wrote:good luck - if she can get over the ichy baits your on a winner

Brian point Brian. jigs and lures it is :)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 pm

kieran wrote:I'd go with lure fishing as you don't have the ichy baits problem. The pike are beginning to lie up in the shallows for the warmth and will be getting feisty given its breeding time. If you get a half decent day at all, I reckon you could use shallow fishing lures effectively in Wicklow.

On the sea, try launching out of Howth Harbour and follow the coast around EAST along the rocks for shallow water Pollack and coalfish fishing. If you are feeling very game, you can head across to Ireland's eye. The only issue may be the commerical and leisure boat traffic. If you don't mind the hauling, you could launch from the small beach behind the harbour.

If you do, this gives you the option to paddle out to the "nose" of Howth, where you have the bird colony on the cliffs;- there are big wrasse under the two stacks but watch for the eddy currents and tidal race there, perhaps not a spot for a beginner.

There is also plenty of smaller pollack and coalfish on the reefs but it is a tackle hungry spot so use lure savers when jigging. People have reported gurnard and dogfish from the "cat rock" about a third of the way out from the small beach.

Good luck!

Thanks Mate. I think the pike is worth a shot on the lures. I'd love to bring her out to the spot you mentioned beside the bird colony at Ireland's Eye. I did paddle out there last year and the fishing was fantastic but so was the weather. A cross wind can make kayaking a bit uncomfortable for a beginner and i'd be worried as she's not really geared up with the right clothing so i'll try find a sheltered lake or river. Would you know any "well sheltered" spots? Fish sizes doesn't matter. A jack would still scare the hell out of her :)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Are you out of your vulcan mind?

Take her fishing in the worst weather possible. Use the best vomit inducing bait you can stomach... Stay there for longer than normal, preferably dark, wet and cold... Make sure you both blank... or better still you catch loads and she nothing. Tell her that this is a good day. She may always be happy to see you out the door...

You'll thank me later :) :) :)

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:25 pm

JimC wrote:Are you out of your vulcan mind?

Take her fishing in the worst weather possible. Use the best vomit inducing bait you can stomach... Stay there for longer than normal, preferably dark, wet and cold... Make sure you both blank... or better still you catch loads and she nothing. Tell her that this is a good day. She may always be happy to see you out the door...

You'll thank me later :) :) :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sounds like your still traumatised there Jim

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Lol very funny Jim , ye most of us go fishing to get away from the other half :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm

right on jim ha ha :D

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks for the advise lads (including the warning :) ) didn't go too badly at all. She caught a few perch early in the session but lost a pike. She taught she was snagged and while i was paddling over the reel was stripping line off fast. :)

Unfortunately the fish got away with its lunch. All in all, great day out, and some lunch and tea with the kelly kettle out on the island was great. I doubt she'll go out and become a fishing fanatic, but now she has a better understanding as to why i love it so much.

Just need to get her to unhook the fish herself and stop holding the fixed spool upside down. If she can figure that out, then i'm on to a winner, if not, then i'll send her down to Jim for a Charter :)

Tue May 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Are you mad man! Wimmin and fishin! I mean.....wimmin!! Jesus wept.

Tue May 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Leave her at home you will thank me some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed May 13, 2015 8:15 am

My Better Half started fishing on her father's boat when she was 8, and she's still mad keen on it all these years later. She's a great boat handler, knows the sea, usually catches more species and bigger fish than I do, and oftentimes she'll be more on for a trip out than I am. Still has a convenient mental blank on tying knots, tho....

Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 am

She hasn't come out again since but she does keep saying she wants to try salmon fishing on the fly at some stage.

Only issue is she's 4 months pregnant so might not be such a good idea for the mo.

I took the four year out though and he's picking it up quickly. had 7 small perch on his first outing

Wed May 13, 2015 3:12 pm

hugo wrote:usually catches more species and bigger fish than I do

gentlemen, this is a beaten docket.. let it go. it doesn't work. just forget about it

Take Jim's advice

well, there is one exception: that your girlfriend looks and goes fishing like this:

http://drowningworms.com/wp-content/upl ... bikini.jpg

Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 pm

chuckaroo wrote:
hugo wrote:usually catches more species and bigger fish than I do

gentlemen, this is a beaten docket.. let it go. it doesn't work. just forget about it

Take Jim's advice

well, there is one exception: that your girlfriend looks and goes fishing like this:

http://drowningworms.com/wp-content/upl ... bikini.jpg

Hey how did u get a pic of my bird ?
If only :mrgreen: