Charter boats Achill

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi all,
I'm just wondering does anyone know if any charters running on Achill in the off season? I know there's a few that begin april, but I'll be out there late february and would like to get even a half day out if the weather suits, rather than bring the kayaks, the atlantic in February not really suited to it...>

daire

Re: Charter boats Achill

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am

There used to be a local charter in Purteen - check the list - beyond that the boats from Belmullet cover the north coast of Achill and the boast from Westport and Clare Island cover the south coast out as far as the Bill Rocks. You've be going well to get someone who is ready to go out - I was walking along the Quay in Westport on Sunday and both of the local charters were up on blocks... which leaves you with a lot fewer. Try Mary Gavin-Hughes in Newport, as her anchorage is a lot more sheltered and her boat may be in the water.

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:01 pm

cheers Kieran. May just drop the idea, was Gina's idea on the charter anyhow! I was happy enough to just do some shore for what it's worth this time of year. Not been out since august so even crabs willl be welcome :lol:

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:23 pm

daire if the weather was suited you would probabaly get one out of killala,,,,

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 pm

btw

I was walking the quay near HW in Westport in almost perfectly calm conditions and there was plenty of mullet about, cruising around on the surface... low water would concentrate them closer to shore if anyone is keen (damn cold there)...