Anchor types for the Irish Coast

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi all

Was wondering what type of anchor is best for the irish coastline?

I have an 18ft cabin cruiser which I mainly use for fishing and has probably about 5 kg grappling type anchor at the moment.

I was thinking of upgrading to the Bruce type or any other recommendations; If so could I get some advice on what weight of anchor would I need, I reckon the boat weighs about 1 ton.

thanks

Eoin

Re: Anchor types for the Irish Coast

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 pm

The only anchor you need is a 7.5kg Bruce with 20' of 8mm chain. It will hold you on sand, mud, gravel and even rock, but remember to have it tripped.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 pm

as above 7.5kg Bruce, great all rounder........

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 pm

bruce all the way!! having the correct length of chain is very important.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 am

I use a 7.5kg plough - same difference really. I use a short (10') heavy chain.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 pm

seafisherman wrote:bruce all the way!! having the correct length of chain is very important.

i do quite a bit of anchoring in very strong tide, a 7.5kg bruce and a warrior 175,
i do not use any chain and the anchor has never dragged

bruce anchor has a remarkable ability to hold in general

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Whatever anchor you decide to get make sure to use a good boat lenght of chain, the chain helps the anchor to get dug in and also acts as a shock absorber to stop the boat lifting the anchor if there is any kind of swell. Dont listen to people saying you dont need chain! you do its a known fact, you might get away with it in flat mirror calm conditions with a lot of spare rope out but other than that forget it. Infact it would be very irresponsible of anyone to suggest you do not have to use any chain, if conditions turned bad and you developed any kind of breakdown it could be that chain that would prevent you from drifting onto rocks or the likes.good luck.