Which is the most suitable day boat for sea angling?

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 am

Thinking of purchasing a dayboat for day angling...would welcome suggestions as a result of your experience...
Trail ability
Handling
Suitability for handling the sea
Value

Thanks

Re: Which is the most suitable day boat for sea angling?

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 am

Hi Sailing52

If you are new to this, look at a 14 footer as your entry level model. There are lots of makes, I've always preferred a standard V hull as it sits down better in the water and drifts slower in wind so look at Arrans, Orkneys and O'Sullivan Marine (OSM) models.

Make absolutely sure you are buying a marine boat, not a tender or a boat designed for lakes. I only say it because I have seen it happen. You may be a little late looking for a bargain as people usually sell before they put boats up into winter storage, but you never know...

I would not go smaller then 14 foot unless you intend fishing on a pond. You can tootle about on a 10 hp engine fairly comfortably with a 1 hp engine backup and oars as the last resort. A cuddy (cabin) at the front will definitely increase your fishing days but it does add weight. Having the throttle and steering set up at the cuddy with seats makes for far more comfort, but again it all adds weight. This should get you fishing within sight of shore although I would never go very far out. Even 250 metres offshore can make a huge difference.

A decent braked trailer, 14 footer and engines, with all the kit, can be towed behind most standard saloon cars (say 1.4 engine or preferably higher). What you need around the car is good strength in low gear to get the boat up and down wet greasy slipways / beaches.

Make sure the winch works! You don't want to have to bring the car down to the water's edge if you can avoid it. A few people should be able to move the trailer and boat up and down the slipway using brute force and combined ignorance. Most 14 footers will host 3 anglers comfortably.

If you have access to back issues of the Irish Angler, check out all of Jim's articles.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 pm

They say: "If you have an enemy - buy him a boat" :)

That said there is nothing like being the master of your own destiny! There are loads of factors that will make up your mind when you begin to choose a boat. It will ultimately be a compromise based on your wishes and priorities: You'll see the main factors here: http://www.topfisher.eu/first-run-fishing-new-boat/

When you decide on what suits you you can then ask the question again but being more specific! For example - I think my Warrior 175 is the greatest small angling boat available. However I use my 3.5m RIB more often...

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:00 pm

for the record, stripers is an excellent site, know the admin and a few people there... but really had to explain, to the point of showing it, to the wife that it was a fishing site!!! you all have been warned!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:28 pm

warrior 165 all the way. very safe little sea boat. thrilled with one I have!

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 pm

seafisherman wrote:warrior 165 all the way. very safe little sea boat. thrilled with one I have!

theres a cracker of a boat advertised in gotcha angling in greystones has loads of extras worth a phone call :wink:

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:51 am

Iv a little sea hog hunter and love it holds well in the choppy tides too saying that its my first boat so i cant really give a detailed opinion on boats but im well happy with it so far

The warriors are a right step up and the warrior 165 will be my next purchase absolute love them

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Go all out and buy the quicksilver 640 with accommadation and facilities for the person who likes comfort.Sturdy boat in a squall and cabin totally enclosed to protect against rough seas as well as added extras such as an electric windlass, live bait well and an internal tank of 138lts.Cooker for the catch of the day and a portaloo to lose it again :wink: :wink:

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 am

Thanks to all for your advice...it would seem on balance that the warrior 165/175 are a good option.
If you know of any ones available please let me know....I spotted one in Kilkenny which I will view.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Which one has the fuel tank problem? Don't get that one.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Which one has the fuel tank problem? Don't get that one.

Wins the prize for the most simplistic answer of the day :!:

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Sailing52 wrote:Thanks to all for your advice...it would seem on balance that the warrior 165/175 are a good option.
If you know of any ones available please let me know....I spotted one in Kilkenny which I will view.

I have a 165 warrior it will fish 3 tidy anglers. The big advantage the 165 has is it can be launched and retrieved as a 1 man operation. Super sea boat I've been out in conditions best not mentioned here and it never let me down.

The 175 has the fuel tank problem. Warrior need their ass kicked on this one. Boats with more petrol in the well than water :oops:

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:06 pm

The one for sale in Kilkenny belongs to Eddie and has had the fuel tank problem rectified.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Don't go for any think smaller than 16ft. Safety first. I have a 14 ft OSM and it's a nice open boat. But not built for open sea on the west coast. I would only have myself and one other in my boat for comfortable fishing. And we would only fish the estuarys and small bays on clam days . Well that's opinion . Good luck with what ever you buy.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm

I have had a crescent 42 (similar to an Arran 14) for 30 years now with a 6hp Suzuki. Easy to launch , ample freeboard and rows well. Fishes three in comfort. 1st class sea keeping. see http://www.holmisdale.co.uk/boats_and_outboards.html . I wouldn't swap for anything bigger

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:41 pm

16' Orkney Longliner with a folding cuddy, only needs 10hp to push along nicely, excellent seakeeping, easy to launch, retrieve, handle, tow and maintain. Solidly built and well tested all over the world. Probably not fashionable enough for many but an excellent angling boat for up to 3 anglers.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 pm

All depends on your budget.
Our first boat was a 17ft orkney strikeliner with cuddy and remote controls.
It was cramped, uncomfortable and slow (25hp Honda = 8-9 knots).
And contrary to what people seem to believe it did not handle chop well, unless you like being thrown about.
Sold it and bought a bayliner trophy 2052.
21.5 ft, 130 hp, electric everything, four wheel trailer, can fish four out the back and at least one up front, toilet, swivel seat, live bait well, fish tanks, 85 gallon fuel tank....
We fish this 10 miles out with no fear at all, handles serious weather and has the pace to outrun waves and swell, unlike the Orkney.
I tow this with a transporter van with no problems and it uses no more fuel than the underpowered Honda.
Get the biggest and best you can afford or tow.
Personally, I wouldn't venture out on the west coast in anything less than 19ft.