donegal bay: are the mackerel gone?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 am

Out again yesterday from killybegs.
Didn't see a mackerel all day.
Are they gone for the year?
I saw the commercial "Hoover" was out so I assume there must be the odd shoal about.
Poor days fishing.

Re: donegal bay: are the mackerel gone?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 am

As far as I'm concerned they were never here from the shore this year,and even fishing from the boats they were scarce,they arrived inshore VERY late this year and were mostly small joeys

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Until yesterday we had no problem catching them. They were everywhere. We couldn't get down past them even when we moved elsewhere.
But there was no sign of them in Donegal bay yesterday.
Hardly surprising when you see people cleaning out six black bin liners full of them at a time ...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 am

doggie3131 wrote:As far as I'm concerned they were never here from the shore this year,and even fishing from the boats they were scarce,they arrived inshore VERY late this year and were mostly small joeys

Much the same experience around Killala Bay. An odd good day, but mostly they were hard got, off Downpatrick Head was better but not much. And yes, loads of little joeys, hope that bodes well for next year....

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 pm

they are very patchy now compared to a few days ago but you can still hit and odd few about yet.