advice for blue shark fishing in donegal bay please??

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi, first post on here.
We would like to go after blue shark before the weather breaks this year.
We will be heading out of killybegs and would greatly appreciate any advice on marks, water depth, bait etc.
We're out regularly on a 22ft trophy so offshore isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Re: advice for blue shark fishing in donegal bay please??

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 am

i would imagine for blues that you would have to head well off shore, maybe a couple of miles at least? are they even that far north?
interesting, i'd be interested to hear any advice on this. is there indeed any tope fishing to be had in or around Donegal bay??

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

One of the charter boats from Mullaghmore, Kiwi Girl I think, reportedly had a great day recently bringing 20 blues to the boat; you could do worse than book a day out with him to get an idea of how and where. I was talking to a charter skipper in West Cork earlier this year who reckons that 200 ft gives you a chance but 300 ft is more certain. If you look up Webapp navionics it will allow you to get some idea of where the deep water is.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Here's the link for that.... and very useful it is too....
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Killary wrote:Here's the link for that.... and very useful it is too....
http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Thanks for that Killary, I couldn't get the link in to my reply properly.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 pm

chuckaroo wrote:i would imagine for blues that you would have to head well off shore, maybe a couple of miles at least? are they even that far north?

They're even further north offshore in Donegal. I've caught plenty out past the Limeburner and Tory Island. You'd probably want to be more than a couple of miles out though, better chance with 5 to 7 miles out at least.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for all the replies folks.
It's all a learning curve.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:57 pm

just read a bit more about the blue shark..
they are actually circumglobal i.e. they are found in all waters all around the world north and south, and as far up as the arctic circle though not in the same numbers. and, they are most commonly found in waters between 80 and 220 metres

so anyway, think the best advice was from johnwest there. to get the specifics on Donegal Bay and out to sea - time of year, distance out, tactics etc - then you would be best to contact/book the local charter boats and/or clubs. hopefully they are willing to help

interesting to know Tanglerat, thanks for that 8)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

Basic blue shark fishing is covered here:

http://www.topfisher.eu/beat-the-blues- ... k-fishing/

It is more based on experience from the south of the country but the basics are sound.

update5comp (Large) (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Head out the middle down past st johns point anywhere in line with inishduff or inishmurray and mix up a good bag of dubby with bran and mackerel guts get a good scent trail slick going and fish a few rods with hooks at different depths off the balloons. Cant miss

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Well folks. Out today in search of our first blue shark.
Ten minutes in and the reel started to scream. Lifted into it and the line broke at the swivel.
45 minutes later and the same scenario presented itself. 15 minutes later and I had my first blue on board. Scales said just under 30 lb. Picture taken and back he went. It was the same fish as it still had the broken line in it's mouth.
Thanks for the advice rushnaldo.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:24 pm

wow. happy days garretthen, great stuff
i would settle for a 30lb one :)
well done
any pics?!

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:37 am

Hi, having problems getting a picture to upload.
Hope this works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Nice fish , there's a good article in the anglers mail this week regarding shark fishing in west cork , first time I have seen them cover sea fishing for a long time

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:46 pm

fantastic fish! 8) 8)