valentia island area tips and advice

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 am

How goes it lads 8) I am heading down to valentia island the coming weekend,not too sure which charter though!!it would be great if anyone has any info ontraces,artificials,colours etc That have worked in the past or what they have seen working :lol: oh and we'll be fishing anchor day one and drifting the second day.cheers

Re: valentia island area tips and advice

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Shad up!!!! Buddy

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Depending on the boat and the weather you stand a chance of a great trip!
You'll find most of what you need here: http://www.topfisher.eu/six-of-the-best ... atch-them/

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Competition or leisure fishing ?
If it is competition fishing what is the minimum fish sizes.

Pollack will be the most prominent species the place is thick with them.
I was down the for the last week of June fishing with my warrior 165.
Huss and thornbacks between Bray Head and Portmagee.
On the reefs around Bray Head the pollack were taking "bullseye rigs" with no bait on.
I did have the son-in-law using a ABU "tele boat match 3.6m 3 tips F22" and a Penn 750 reel. Gilling with an orange eel he was hitting 6lb + pollack every drop it was great to see him suffer trying to pull them up out of 170' of water, well its one way of getting the drink out of your system. Done the 10 mile bank and had plenty of bluemouth, when you could get pass the ling :lol: :lol:

Forget your "killmore Killers" (sorry Mr Kennedy) the snoods will not be able to handle the size of the pollack around Valentia.
You will be fishing depths between 100 and 400 feet of water so make sure your line is out to the end of the spool put on some backing if needs be.The reason is the a full spool will take less turns to retrieve from the bottom.
Mackerel is the main bait for most species, a big of rag will be handy for the wrasse.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Good man Donal that's great,wat about over anchor fir animals how heavy would you go?it sounds like an area that could throw up a few surprises too!
Thanks
Mark