marlogue congers?

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:32 pm

I recently went out on a sunday evening and caught a load of mackerel for a planned shark fishing trip the next day. The following day was forecast to be relatively calm with just enough wind to push us along at a steady drift. I awoke in the morning to find the forecasts were wrong and i now had a box of stale mackerel and no weather to get offshore for sharks. I tried fishing for congers in marlogue so as not to see the day or the box of mackerel go to waste but we had no luck at all. We were anchored about 30 feet out from shore, or off the tree line south of the marina. The chart plotter was showing there to be a deep hole where I've heard of conger being caught before. Does anyone have any info on the fishing in this area as it seems a handy place for shelter on a rough day, if we could only find a few fish up there.

Re: marlogue congers?

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:41 am

There used be a head of congers up there years ago. I've not heard of any being caught in this last while. I think you should be anchored closer to the shore there ;) . It is a great area for mini species. You can regularly see a blast of boats anchored up there....sure sign of a competition going on. I would think that there are no big baits being sent down there...certainly is enough food for congers there.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a go again some day when the weathers playing up.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Head up as far as the green bouy in Whitepoint,or across from it where the cables go on to Haulbowline wall.
Great place for congers on the flood tide especially.