help new to boat fishing

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok I'm going fishing in about 1-2weeks on a boat. I have never done boat fishing and would like some help and a few tips.do u leave the rig that you are using sink to the bottom and leave it there or do you pull it up? Thanks for the help

Re: help new to boat fishing

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi Pierfishing, where are you going boat fishing and what species are u expecting to catch?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:32 pm

pierfishing wrote:Ok I'm going fishing in about 1-2weeks on a boat. I have never done boat fishing and would like some help and a few tips.do u leave the rig that you are using sink to the bottom and leave it there or do you pull it up? Thanks for the help

it depends what species you are fishing for if your fishing the drift or going to anchor or uptiding/downtiding etc...
for mackerel,pollack and cod all you need is feathers and a weight...maybe bait up the bottom 2 feathers with a bit of mack and jig a couple of feet off the bed and back down...very straight forward...can bring up a few surprises too.im fond of flying collars too and always have a baited trace on the bottom wether im on the drift or not...tis always handy too to have a spinning rod and a few soft plastics,but the feathers will serve you well for your first few trips...best of luck lad :wink:

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks. I'm assuming it will be mackerel and pollock

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:05 pm

There are many many different tactics and techniques for boat fishing in Ireland. Most of the species that we try to catch feed on or near the bottom, so that is where you should concentrate your efforts. If fishing at anchor over rough or clean ground, you should leave your bait on the seabed. If drifting over clean ground, and targeting flatfish and rays, you should be dragging your bait along the bottom as the boat drifts. If you are drifting over rough or mixed ground, you will snag very quickly if you try to use the same method. Therefore, try and concentrate your efforts near the bottom, by letting out line every minute and bumping your lead off the seabed and then reeling back a metre or 2 of line. Pollack, Coalfish and Mackerel can be encountered off the bottom in midwater. Try bringing a selection of lead weights from 3oz - 10oz, so you will have most situations covered.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm making only my second trip out on in a few days over a wreck, I have weights from 10oz up to a lb , 3 pirks and a load of different coloured squids, shads and feathers, im bringing 2 boxes of squid, im going to take a gamble on catching mackerel out there, I've been told mackerel is a much better boat bait when fresh, should I buy a few fillets just in case

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Dave, you shouldn't have too much trouble catching a few fresh mackerel at the moment.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks Rob