Lobster/Crab/Shrimp pots/Traps

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 am

Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy some Lobster/Crab/Shrimp pots/Traps,
does anyone know where they sell them in the Cork area?
i would like to use them this weekend.
2nd hand new i take it :D
Thanks guys! 8)

Re: Lobster/Crab/Shrimp pots/Traps

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 am

Did you try Donedeal?
Or give Ch Marine a call.... if they do not stock they will tell you where to go...

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 pm

unfortunately on donedeal there is not much around the area (or sold out) CHmarine dont have them, and they girl on the phone could not tell me where to get them.

so i am still looking.

maybe someone had a good step by step guide for making one? the ones i find on the internet are all for american crab fishing and crazy expensive to make.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks JimC

unfortunately on donedeal no luck (sold out or too far away) and CHmarine don't have them and the person on the phone could not tell me where to get them :(

Maybe someone has a step by step guide for making one?
online i only find for american crab pots or crazy expensive ones to make.

Thanks again 8)

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:52 pm

http://www.dx.com/s/shrimp+trap

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 am

Hey guys, i got a few different traps/pots. You guys know any good mark in cork where i can set them from the shore? Thanks again!

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:48 am

The 3 layer shrimp trap in the above link used be for sale in murrays on Patrick street in cork before. Same thing as a minnow trap. Might be worth a look to see if they still have them.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Pick the lowest tides to put them out. Maybe instead of the shore put them alongside a pier.
I would not leave them out too long.... Sometime local lobster/crab fishermen might "mistake them for their own".

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 am

I went to ballycotton pier and what a catch i got within 4 hours!!! 2 lobsters, 1 brown crab, 1 conger eel, 1 freshwater eel and a ton of shore crabs. Used one of those cheap minnow nets and one lobster cage. Very nice catch for such a short time. Too bad none of my rods got any bites that day

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:52 am

Good result :)
Be aware that there is size limits for lobsters and also females carrying eggs (Berries) must be released ;)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:47 pm

How u can see it's female or male? And what are size limits?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:52 am

Females are:
1 v notches sometimes
2 2 berried sometimes (millions of eggs under tail)
3 have flailed tail at mid section while males have a linear tapered tail

That's good going Jurgen, what bait did u use. Fish as rotten as you can stand is great for lobster and keeps the other species away. Sounds like you'd a great catch with fresh bait? Oily fish?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 am

This looks quiet interesting I may try it some time. How long should they be kept in the water, I know an area with deep water which can be accessed from rocks but it can be a busy area so i will have to wait and keep watch

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:00 pm

There are some for sale here in Dublin?

http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories ... ew/4347252