Large Jig Heads for Boat/SP Fishing

Sun May 11, 2014 1:53 pm

Have been reading a few of JimCs excellent articles on topfisher.eu on this subject. I really want to get into this type of fishing but I'm having trouble finding the right size jig heads on the larger end of the scale for deeper conditions or stronger tide runs- from between say 50g-100g. Any tackle shops I've been in seem to only have smaller ones (up to around 25g) that you might use for casting SPs

Obviously, I could make my own but I'm a bit limited in room to work, and I already have my wife driven demented with the amount of fishing gear around our small house!

I've seen large jig heads on ebay but the problem is the hook size is huge (7/0 to 12/0) - too big for the shads etc I would be mounting.

If anyone could help out here, it would be great , thanks

Re: Large Jig Heads for Boat/SP Fishing

Sun May 11, 2014 4:22 pm

you could just use a barrel lead or drilled bullet in front of the shad, actually i think
its a better solution than the jig head as it's more flexible. Some people add beads,
stop knots or bizarrely bits of tooth pick, i just use the inline lead on its own and it
stays at the shad. fishing doesnt have to be complicated

Sun May 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Have bought 75g jig heads in the past from Dan at Halfway angling in Cork.

Sun May 11, 2014 5:52 pm

uk hooks do a large range of moulds etc for all needs, should have stuck with them as I ordered from bricoleurre, money gone from PayPal account, they did not receive order and now wont answer emails..........

Sun May 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Strange one that Eddie. I've always found them speedy and efficient.

I understand the quandary of big hooks! A 100g jig head is a large beast! Under most circumstances I fish a 6/0 on my 100g heads. If I want to fish a small lure in deep water when there is tide or drift I would fish a drop-shot if my jig head will not suit. You can then use whatever weight you need and fish a smaller lure if you wish.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:06 pm

UK hooks have a good range of large jig heads- I'd say I'll pick up a few there, thanks dezzer.

Thanks Jim, I suppose drop shotting would be a good idea, or revert to a flying collar. I just like the idea of being in "direct" control of the lure which the jig head will give

Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Thanks Jim, I suppose drop shotting would be a good idea, or revert to a flying collar. I just like the idea of being in "direct" control of the lure which the jig head will give

Indeed, that's why I love jig heads, the directness of it is lovely. If the gear is matched then the result is great! Unfortunately in some conditions there is no other way to get a small lure to the bottom and to hold it there. For example a red gurnard would struggle to engulf a 100g head! I reckon that experimentation is the only option!

Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm

JimC wrote: I reckon that experimentation is the only option!

That's the truth! However until I get out on my boat trip in July I have waaay to much time to be thinking about the endless variations of tackle, techniques, etc . . .