Boat marks in cork

Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

I've had a boat for a few years but always stayed close to the harbour. Rarely venturing out past roches point. Last year, with the weather being a bit better, I made the most of it and travelled east a few times fishing for bass and pollock along the coast and fished around ballycotton island a few times. I never went off shore as I had no chartplotter or fishfinder. With a new boat this year fitted with fish finder/ chartplotter and everything necessary for a safe enjoyable day out, I was hoping someone would give me a few tips and pointers to get me started. As I can't help feeling we're wasting a good opportunity for some quality fishing by staying confined to the harbour. Any help is much appreciated as it's a big ocean out there and I'm not quiet sure where to start.

Tight lines,
Evan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Boat marks in cork

Thu May 01, 2014 10:29 am

What make of GPS have you.

In the mean time have a look at this https://jetstream.gsi.ie/delivery/INFOM ... rth_ne.kmz

Thu May 01, 2014 10:38 am

Your cousin Cian is a class fisherman you should listen to him

Thu May 01, 2014 11:22 am

Infomar is worth a look but it can be a bit daunting.
You could start by getting a feel out by The Smiths and maybe The Daunt.
What boat are you fishing from?
A lot would depend on the species that you want to target....

Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 am

Donal, it's a garmin 451s

Jim, I was hoping to get to grips with the soft plastic fishing for pollack and cod. I've been following your videos over the years and that type of fishing is what would really appeal to me. The boat is a quicksilver 470.

Thu May 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Yes, It's lovely fishing alright. Have you the right gear?
Those QS 470's are a right chunky looking boat! They look well.
You couldn't buy a cod around at the moment. I would start and run to the Daunt or head for the Smiths or the Lings you'll pick pollack about handy enough...

Thu May 01, 2014 11:11 pm

I fished with Richie Ryan before and he had a look over the gear I use and reckons it's ok anyway. It's a grand steady boat in the water alright. Very capable when it gets a little lumpy and with a 50 Hp on the back, it moves well so it shouldn't take us all that long to get to the marks either. Thanks for the help. I'll let ye know how I get on.