First boat where to fish

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi

I just got my first boat only a small 15 footer, have life jackets and vhf radio!

Located in South Dublin City, had her out in clew bay last weekend fishing wasnt great, came across a dead whale floating in the bay!

Was looking for a few tips on where I might fish on the east coast.

Where would be the best place to fish in early April, Dont want to travel further than Carlingford lough or Kilmore Quay.

Just looking for the best fishing option in roughly 2 weeks time

any advice greatly appreciated

Re: First boat where to fish

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 pm

hows things mate what boat did you buy if you dont mind me asking? im buying my first boat soon too and im going to look at a 17ft sea hog this week, a friend has it and he only used in on lakes so hopefully all is good with it

when i do get it il be heading out from poolbeg and dunlaoghaire,will be all trial and error being a newbie to the boating

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:48 pm

fishing is slow enough out there in the bay at the moment with dogs dabs whiting and a few codling making up the bulk of things, water is still only at 8c on the last few outings i have done last trip was paddys day, wait till it hits about 10c for things to start improving.
if you fish kilmore quay you will be spoiled but before you fish it get someone to show you the layout down there, its a very dangerous place to fish if you dont know the area, a few charter trips might be the way to go if you dont know anyone that fishes down there yourself. the east coast has a lot to offer, but it does take a lot of time to get to know it and where to target your fish, i had 37 species in my boat last year all caught within a few miles from Dunlaoghaire, i have caught over 40 species over the years from the same patch, so dont let anyone tell you there are no fish on the East/Dublin coast.

if it were me in looking for somewhere to fish in early april i would be thinking of heading to kilmore for a few fish, but dont go if you have never fished down there before get some local knowledge first.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 am

A nice video to help with learning to fish from a boat, helped me when i got my 16ft dory to some nice coarse fishing with bass and pollock late 2012 and my entire 2013 sea species!
Also i reckon get a gps/fishfinder something like that to help with diagnosing what ground your on and what fish might be there (if any).
Just my two cents, great vid anyways!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oi3N5mbKFfo

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39 am

JOHN1 wrote:Dont let anyone tell you there are no fish on the East/Dublin coast.

Agree. Average wind and sea conditions also make it fishable more often than other locations, such as over here in the wild north west...

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 am

Hi Brianineo, March/April are 2 of the worst months for small boat fishing on the east coast. Towards the end of next month, the action should start to pick up. Cahore in north Wexford should begin to produce Tope, thornbacks, Huss and Smoothound from May bank holiday weekend on. By the end of May, all those species should be prolific around Wicklow. Do not disregard Dublin though, good sport can be had from Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire. John1's catch reports are proof of what can be achieved on your doorstep.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 pm

If your a newbie to sea fishing in your own boat I wouldn't go out unless you get someone that knows a boat, I have a 15ft boat, never took it out to sea and I don't think I ever will, it's hairy enough been out on Blessington lake on a windy day,

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:00 pm

new boat (1).jpg

Thank for all the advice

Small update on the 15 footer (was only a speedboat) has been decommissioned have bought a 18ft Seasafe Pacific 550.

Cracking boat loadsa space nice high bow.

Heading to Killary for the Easter weekend.... can't wait
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Congrats Brian, well wear on it! Hope you get plenty of hours up on it! :) :) :) :)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Nice boat there Brian, got it at the right time too!

I was out off Greystones twice last year on a friends boat at the start of May, think the spot may be called the Moulditch just off the channel markers. Anchored up and caught some nice Ray and Huss on both occassions and i believe there is a chance of tope there aswell. Easy enough to launch a boat from the harbout too