Good lures & rigs for pollock etc.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 am

Hi all first time posting here so go easy on me!

Normally a shore angler but will be heading out with a group of friends on boat from Helvic Head in July.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on successful lures/ methods for pollock on soft plastics.

From boats, I've had good success with gilling black and red fire tail jellies with a boom type rig but I'd love to be able to try something else if that isn't doing the trick.

For instance would coloured shads be a good bet? Best fished on a jig head or with a boom and flowing trace? Or perhaps the sandeel imitations like eddystone eels etc.

Also id love to be able to bring out my shore lure rod (rated 10-30g) and have some real fun with it-in this case I suppose plastics mounted on a jig head would be the way to go but I suppose the jig head would not want to be much over 2 oz.

So not asking much!!

Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks.

Good lures & rigs for pollock etc.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Sounds to me like you already know what to do:-)
If the pollock are there, then everything you've just mentioned will work fine! Pollock ain't fussy!!! Even white pollock feathers work a treat.
And definately bring your lure rod, some craic!!

Re: Good lures & rigs for pollock etc.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm

If im not casting, can I use a slightly higher weight than the lure rod is weighted to?

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Yes, I'm guessing you could easily use a 50g jig head with your 30g rod.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Pollock will take most lures on the market

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:32 pm

You'll find an article here:
http://www.topfisher.eu/boat-lure-basics/
If gives the basics of Light tackle lure fishing from the boat.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks everyone