Which boat for SWFF

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm seriously thinking of buying a boat - Warrior 165 etc far too expensive - for some saltwater fly fishing but don't know which type. My budget will be 3k tops. It will be used mostly by myself only with the odd trip for two people and intend to stick around the coastal inlets etc. Familiar with the sea and have had various sailing boats over the years but have now got hooked on the whole saltwater fly thing. Thinking along the lines of a dory (Dell Quay-type, etc) but wondering is the double hull more stable or not. also looked at an aluminum one but reckon they may be too 'bouncy' for fly fishing in a bit of a swell. All advice much appreciated.

Re: Which boat for SWFF

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm

have you considered buying a rib

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:40 pm

donal domeney wrote:have you considered buying a rib

A good option!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm

A well ballasted Orkney longliner provides a really stable and versatile all round platform. Well within your price range.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks guys for the reply. Yea, I've thought about a RIB but wasn't 100% convinced and wondered what others who have experience of using the boat - mostly single handed - for flyfishing. I can see the advantages of the RIB alright. What about stability: is a single hull better? I don't want to have a cabin but a little 'spray hood' would be handy for the usual cuppa, fixing troubled gear, getting out of a nasty squall of rain, etc. But yes, in short, a RIB is on the list.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:24 am

David W wrote:A well ballasted Orkney longliner provides a really stable and versatile all round platform. Well within your price range.

ideal

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 am

A small rib would be a great option. They are lighter a well, so you can launch in more difficult places to access. Don't go for an inflatable keel type If you intend to fly fish. They drift a lot quicker.

The Orkney would also be an excellent choice, but typically I would be heavier an you would be restricted to slipways for launching.

Sent from my C2 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 pm

There's a piece here about getting on the water:
http://www.topfisher.eu/first-run-fishing-new-boat/

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:13 pm

A cuddy cabin Dory would be great! Scarce on Donedeal at the minute though. Prices are high too leading into summer so gander through donedeal everyday and something will pop up. There's a few nice open Dories up there with tiller controls and such