which portable humminbird fish finder

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 am

Hi, not sure if this is the right platform for this question, but I'm in the market for a portable fish finder with clamp on pole type transducer and have narrowed it down to either the hummingbird 120, with single downward beam and black/white 4"screen or the hummingbird 140cx with dual beam and colour 3.5"screen.
Is it worth the extra money(€100) for dual beam and colour screen, the 140 also has a telescopic transducer pole which may be an advantage when renting a lake boat for pike fishing which will be its most regular use.
Any help/advice appreciated

Re: which portable humminbird fish finder

Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:36 am

last cast lad wrote:Is it worth the extra money(€100) for dual beam and colour screen, the 140 also has a telescopic transducer pole which may be an advantage when renting a lake boat for pike fishing which will be its most regular use.
Any help/advice appreciated

The short answer is YES!
I would not know much about the performance of the HB portable sounders.
Have you looked at the Garmin Echos? Great units. You can also get a "portable pack" for the Echo http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/Garmin ... 84901.html though I would reckon you'd make up something handy.
Transducers on poles can be a pain in the ring! Even at low speed they tend to try and bend and twist off the transom. A suction mount would be less hassle.

Re: which portable humminbird fish finder

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:12 am

Hello,

I build my own portable device.
I used an elektrical box, and mounted the holder of a regular device on top of it. Inside I fixed the battery, and also some points to reload the battery and also for extra power (ie light).
I've made decision not to use a transducer pole, but I've mounted my transducer with a suction cup. This because the pole aren't always the right size, and mine didn't always stay straight down. I've secured the suction cup with an extra rope to tie it to the railing.
With this setup you're free to choose the device you want! I'm using the good old Lowrance X125 for this, but I'm thinking of upgrading the kit with a color screen. Jim is completely right about colour screen (and the pole and the garmins)
When I got some spare time, I can upload a picture of my device.
Regards,

Jeroen