Artico versus tubbertini which is best?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of these rods but I'm unsure which would be the best. I' know every one will have there favourite , but what I'm looking for is info on which would be best. Price versus quality? Lenght versus strength? What lenght of rod is best to go for ?And best all rounder. Also where do you purchase these rods for the best value .ive been looking at the artico dinamite TNT 3.6 100/500g. What you think? All info welcome . Thanks.

Re: Artico versus tubbertini which is best?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Up date. E bay have none of these rods im after looking through 20+ pages . and there is not much info about them so your help is needed.do you think they would be on sale in February at the swords angling show. I'm willing to wait.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:01 pm

:cry:

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Dan what type of fishing are you looking to use them for? They are both generally classed as competition boat rods used for casting from an anchored boat. They are not designed for drifting and are less than ideal for this application due to there lenght. For drifting a far better choice would be a light uptider or shorter multi tip rod such as the fladen maximus which can be used with a fixed spool or multiplier. Both companies make good quality rods the main difference between the two is the Artico rods are telescopic.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm

dangler wrote:Hi Dan what type of fishing are you looking to use them for? They are both generally classed as competition boat rods used for casting from an anchored boat. They are not designed for drifting and are less than ideal for this application due to there lenght. For drifting a far better choice would be a light uptider or shorter multi tip rod such as the fladen maximus which can be used with a fixed spool or multiplier. Both companies make good quality rods the main difference between the two is the Artico rods are telescopic.

Hi dangler. The type of fishing would be competition fishing . I was at kilmore a few weeks back and I saw 90% of anglers using these rods from the Ankor . I didn't know how good they are till you see them in action. And I was left in the dark after the main species were picked off around the boat. It would be only Ankor fishing I would use it for as drift fishing down here with it would only get broken. I have a nice up tider for drift fishing but I have been lookin at the fladen maximus as another angler did mention it too. Nice rod. The main reason for this post is to see what fairs out best and which would be most recommend . There is two types of artico a 3.60 and a4.00meter.which would be the better to go for. . Thanks for the reply dangler.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm

The two types of Artico rods you mention have different casting strenghts. The TNT 3.60 casts up to 500g while the 4 meter casts up to 200g. The 3.60 would be the most practical of the two as you could put more power into your cast with the heavier leads. The other rod I would look at is the Tubertini Atlantic 4.00. A great rod very powerful bit more expensive than the Artico. I have the Tubertini and the Artico and both are great I'd suggest you try before you buy as it comes down to personal preference.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 pm

dangler wrote:The two types of Artico rods you mention have different casting strenghts. The TNT 3.60 casts up to 500g while the 4 meter casts up to 200g. The 3.60 would be the most practical of the two as you could put more power into your cast with the heavier leads. The other rod I would look at is the Tubertini Atlantic 4.00. A great rod very powerful bit more expensive than the Artico. I have the Tubertini and the Artico and both are great I'd suggest you try before you buy as it comes down to personal preference.
. Cheers dangler, That's the info I need, the heavy weight would suit me Better I think. And as you said I think I'll have to look at them both and see how they feel. Is the telescopic artico handyer to use, . I saw one man using it with the bottom section not extended . Is that ok to do?,.
kstaff wrote:Hi Dan,

Put a question to the lads in the Boat angling Q&A section and some of the lads will help further,
good thinking kstaff I'll put the question to them and see if any help is about. Or maybe the mods will move it across?.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Mods if its possible could this post be moved to boat angling Q&A. Thanks.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Keep an eye on Done Deal there might be a few appear there after the "World Champs"... :D :D

Not my style of fishing this competition stuff from a charter, in fact I just fish one comp a year and that is the Small Boats Festival next week... :wink:

I can see where they are coming from in the requirements though - catch the fish around the boat. When they are exhausted start flicking away from the boat. The idea of matching the rod to the species in order to get more craic/sport does not enter the equation.

PaddyB might be a guy to ask as he is into the IFSA competition side of things and if he doesn't have one of these rods he will know about them. If he doesn't spot this you could send him a PM. Dave Jolly pops by from time to time and he deffo uses these style rods. I'm not sure what other IFSA-style boat anglers we have on here....

Something tells me that The Artico were coming cheaper than the Tubertini and therefore were an attractive prospect.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm

JimC wrote:Keep an eye on Done Deal there might be a few appear there after the "World Champs"... :D :D

Not my style of fishing this competition stuff from a charter, in fact I just fish one comp a year and that is the Small Boats Festival next week... :wink:

I can see where they are coming from in the requirements though - catch the fish around the boat. When they are exhausted start flicking away from the boat. The idea of matching the rod to the species in order to get more craic/sport does not enter the equation.

PaddyB might be a guy to ask as he is into the IFSA competition side of things and if he doesn't have one of these rods he will know about them. If he doesn't spot this you could send him a PM. Dave Jolly pops by from time to time and he deffo uses these style rods. I'm not sure what other IFSA-style boat anglers we have on here....

Something tells me that The Artico were coming cheaper than the Tubertini and therefore were an attractive prospect.

Hi jim, cheers for the reply. I'm always on done deal so I've that side covered. :wink: I didn't think I would get into this type of fishing but as one of the lads said its addictive . I've been looking at both rods and your right the artico is cheaper but it is also telescopic so storage is easyer..

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

[quote="JimC"]Keep an eye on Done Deal there might be a few appear there after the "World Champs"... :D :D

Don't think so Jim I reckon you've more chance of seeing a Tenryu, Illex or other pricey lure rod on there :lol:

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am

Cheers dangler, That's the info I need, the heavy weight would suit me Better I think. And as you said I think I'll have to look at them both and see how they feel. Is the telescopic artico handyer to use, . I saw one man using it with the bottom section not extended . Is that ok to do?,.

Yes Dan you can use the rod with the last section closed which make the rod roughly 1 meter shorter. The telescopic rods take a bit of getting used to and there not for everyone so try before you by.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 am

dangler wrote:
JimC wrote:Keep an eye on Done Deal there might be a few appear there after the "World Champs"... :D :D

Don't think so Jim I reckon you've more chance of seeing a Tenryu, Illex or other pricey lure rod on there :lol:

:D :D

I was speaking with an IFSA match angler last night.
He reckoned its not as simple as Art or Tub... there different models, lengths and ratings... he himself has around four of these style rods in different lengths and ratings. I'd say you really need to get feeling these and getting a feel what will work for you....or even what would be the best allrounder starting out.

I use Etnas at times a 270 or a 300. Maybe a bit light for possible heavier weights you might want but I find it a great rod for flicking away from the boat (maybe up to 6 ounce but normally 3 or 4) I'm sure there probably a heavier rod in the range that might allow you to get the feel before spending big bucks on what might turn out to be a lemon!

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:55 am

Dan lynch in halfway angling stocks tubertini. If you cant get your hands on them before buying a phonecall to him would be an idea. Hes a well respected angler and wouldnt be the kind of guy to sell a rod he didnt think was what you needed or wanted. Talk him thru what you want/need it for and ask his advise maybe?

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Dan Lynch
Halfway Angling Ctr
Ballinhassig
Co. Cork
Tel: (021)4885894
http://www.tackledirectireland.ie

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:30 pm

JimC wrote:
dangler wrote:

He reckoned its not as simple as Art or Tub... there different models, lengths and ratings... he himself has around four of these style rods in different lengths and ratings. I'd say you really need to get feeling these and getting a feel what will work for you....or even what would be the best allrounder starting out.

I use Etnas at times a 270 or a 300. Maybe a bit light for possible heavier weights you might want but I find it a great rod for flicking away from the boat (maybe up to 6 ounce but normally 3 or 4) I'm sure there probably a heavier rod in the range that might allow you to get the feel before spending big bucks on what might turn out to be a lemo
n!

Exactly!

I have both the Tubertini, Atlantic, and the Tactica. The Tactica is lighter and great for light weights, say up to 8oz and smaller fish, I even use it as a flounder rod from the beach. The Atlantic is stiffer, and thus can work with heavier weights, but they both serve different purposes.
I have heard, and know guys who have Artico's and they havn't been raving about them. To be honest I still use my Anaga more than anything else!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 pm

PaddyB wrote:
JimC wrote:
dangler wrote:

I use Etnas at times a 270 or a 300. Maybe a bit light for possible heavier weights you might want but I find it a great rod for flicking away from the boat (maybe up to 6 ounce but normally 3 or 4) I'm sure there probably a heavier rod in the range that might allow you to get the feel before spending big bucks on what might turn out to be a lemo
n!

Exactly!

I have both the Tubertini, Atlantic, and the Tactica. The Tactica is lighter and great for light weights, say up to 8oz and smaller fish, I even use it as a flounder rod from the beach. The Atlantic is stiffer, and thus can work with heavier weights, but they both serve different purposes.
I have heard, and know guys who have Artico's and they havn't been raving about them. To be honest I still use my Anaga more than anything else!

Hi paddy. Thanks for the info and help, there seems to be a lot of different rods for different types of fish out there, you have said you have the tubb Atlantic and tactica. How would you rate the gorilla boat AP 4meter? Would they be the same as the Atlantic ? I would not mind a stiffer tip rod for my first long boat rod to get use to working with it.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I have the gorilla boat 4 meter got it for the comp scene,I wanted to try the long rod approach as I have seen the guys using them around the different opens...The gorilla is a heavy brute of a rod when you have it in your hand for a while and on a tight boat it can be awkward to use..I've seen some of the guys using the artigo and the telescopic seems to work well when conditions are a bit tight on deck and the rod is lighter also.....I quite like the long rod and will perhaps next year get an artigo for myself. Sean Carty in Bundoran sells both and it would be worth giving him a shout..http://landandseasports.ie/ great guy to deal with

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:03 pm

cathald wrote:I have the gorilla boat 4 meter got it for the comp scene,I wanted to try the long rod approach as I have seen the guys using them around the different opens...The gorilla is a heavy brute of a rod when you have it in your hand for a while and on a tight boat it can be awkward to use..I've seen some of the guys using the artigo and the telescopic seems to work well when conditions are a bit tight on deck and the rod is lighter also.....I quite like the long rod and will perhaps next year get an artigo for myself. Sean Carty in Bundoran sells both and it would be worth giving him a shout..http://landandseasports.ie/ great guy to deal with

Thanks for the reply cathald, I haven't yet held either rod so still not sure on weight. But comfort is important when your holding it for a full day. I noticed space is tight on most boats I'll look up Sean carty . and I'm passing up that way now and again so I could go in for a look. :wink: thanks again.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah what Cathal says is correct.
The Atlantic and the Gorilla Ap are very similiar, but the Atlantic is Lighter.