new forum

Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:10 am

hello ppl, i have set up a new forum and would appriciate any advice and general direction, it is designed to cater for boat anglers skippers and owners....

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=angling

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:07 am

:D Now thats what I call an avatar! :D

Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Nice one skip :D

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:02 am

Cheers wes :lol: it took me while to find it, i try not to do things by half :wink: ...

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:03 am

cheers Terry.....

Outboard Conversion Yamaha 9.9hp long -> short shaft

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:05 pm

Nice timing with the new forum!

A wee question to kick things off. I have a 9.9 yamaha long shaft that I need to convert to a short shaft. Has anyone tried this? If so, is it just a matter of removing the extension in the leg (ie does the drive shaft, gear linkage, etc just telescope) or do I need to get shorter drive shaft etc?

I've googled this to death without getting a real answer and just for a change thought I'd ask before whipping out the spanners...

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 pm

I think it would be more hassle than its worth sandman, probally a lot easier to sell it and buy another, apart for the cost of changing the bottom end.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:12 pm

you can use a long shaft O/B on a short shaft hull its the other way aroung is a no no. if you are fussy you make up a S/steel plate that goes across the engine mount point and lifts the engine about 4inches- 100mm -in new money a piece of 1.5mm S/steel folded over so the thickness between the two sides is the same as the transom and clamp/fibreglass into place

Outboards

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks for the replies folks,

It probably would be handier in the long run to buy a short shaft but I like tinkering so I'll see what I can find out.

I see a lot of people online advocate modifying the boat rather than the engine. Seems to be a lot of companies online advertising riser plates etc. The danger with these are - and this is never mentioned - is that raising the engine relative to the boat renders the boat less stable - more top weight.

Also, the ideal propulsion unit is at the same height as the prop - keeping the weight low and reducing the torque on the transom by keeping the fixing points as close to the prop as possible.

The other drawback of the riser plate comes into play if you steer manually as I do - the dratted throttle and gearshift are up above where you expect them.....

engines

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:44 pm

all long shafts have a spacer that can be removed. you will then need to remove the shaft and replace it with a shortshaft version and screw the whole lot back together without using the spacer. Depending on how old the engine is this could be a nightmare. Boltss are often siezed and the shaft can be awful to remove. Not in all cases but i had to do it once on a 50 HP Chrysler and my father had to make his own pullers to remove the shaft gradually and straight as not to bend it... You may not have this problem but it is possible... :?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:59 pm

Cobh, I suggest you go to [url]http://www.dot.tk[/url] and get a shorter URL from them for Free.

Shortening outboards

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:19 pm

Hmmm, sounds like this could eat into my fishing time. Ebay, here it comes...