Easyline Trailer Hub Problem

Discussion and advise about the purchase, care, maintenance and operation of boats

Moderators: JimC, jw

Easyline Trailer Hub Problem

Postby mann » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi lads,

Got an Easyline 600 trailer that the bearings need changing on, I took off the Hub and did my best to remove the bearing but the outer casing seems welded to the hub,

As you might see in the picture the new bearing is a single outer casing with 2 rollers inside, I got the inner rollers out but even the 14lb sledge wont shift the outer sleeve,

So I decided the best thing to do was buy a new hub “easier said than done” for the last 2 days I been searching for a place to get this type of hub but as yet have had no joy,

As a last resort I went to indespension but again had no joy, Was hoping to take this boat that’s on the trailer to the west coast on Friday but the chance of this happening are looking slimmer by the minute… unless someone here knows of a place where I might get the parts for this easyline trailer,

Thanks in advance for any help you may give on this.

2013-09-25 21.42.12.jpg
2013-09-25 21.42.12.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 41 times

Re: Easyline Trailer Hub Problem

Postby gfkelly1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am

you might have to get some one with a press to press it out,i had the same problem with the cars wheel bearing and i brought it to a friend with a press and it took over 12 ton of pressure to get it to move
it would be better to get them to press in the new bearing as well,it would only take them 5 mins with the right tools
if you want to try it yourself you could try cut a line through the shell with a hacksaw and it will take the pressure off and hammer it out then
lifetime species fishing and rock pool
1 dogfish,2 whiting,3 flounder,4 two spot goby,5 mackerel,6 pollack,7 common blenny,8 European eel,9 butterfish,10 Deep-snouted pipefish,11 rock goby,12 poor cod,13 corkwing wrasse,14 coalfish,15 turbot,16 tompot blenny,17 dab,18 dragonet,19 shorerockling,20 thornback ray,21 three bearded rockling,22 sandeel,23 grey gurnard,24 sea scorpion,25 scad,26 plaice,27 ballen wrasse,28 bullhuss,29 conger eel,30 blue shark,31 blonde ray,32 cod,33 pouting,34 topknot,35 Fifteen-spine Stickleback,36 mullet,37 Sand Goby,38 Montagu's Blenny,39 Three-spined Stickleback,40 goldshinny wrasse,41 painted goby,42 five bearded rockling,43 Sand-Smelt,44 Small-headed Clingfish ,45 sole

http://clifdenfishing.webs.com

http://clifdensearay.webs.com/
gfkelly1969
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 223 times

Postby mann » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply GF,

12 TON !!! This is going to be harder than I thought, Cant think of anyone with a press that I know of but I will ask around,

I looked into the housing yesterday to see if it would be possible to somehow cut it but there is a lip / flange that stops the bearing from being pushed in too far and this is what stopped me trying to cut it yesterday,

But as I think about it I don’t think a little cut or 2 in the ring shouldn’t case it to weaken too much, in my minds eye its only a stopper to line the bearing up,

I been spraying it with WD40 in the hope of freeing it up a little so I’m off out now to bash on it some more, if / when that don’t work I will pop out for some new hack saw blades,

Cheers
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Etihad » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Press definately the way to go. Any local garage or car mechanic should have one. It will take him seconds to do and you could get the new bearing pressed in
Etihad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby hugo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Yes, the press is the answer, and they're fairly common. A garage should have one as said, or a machine shop or some engineering place that repairs diggers or agri machinery.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby just add water » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Mann.
If you are still looking for a hub try trailertek. I've overhauled my trailer this year and used them for parts. Can't fault them, excellent service.

http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Hub_Assemblies.html
Cheers Andrew
just add water
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby mann » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks for the advise and tips and link gents,

Took it to a garage that had a 30 ton press, the guy had a good look at it before putting it under the press twice,

don’t know exactly how much pressure he forced onto it but when he put it under for the second time I made sure he was between me and the bearing in case it exploded,

He took it out of the press and he and his mate agreed that there was a lip pressed over the end which was stopping the bearing case from moving (as can be seen in picture)

The pressed over lip seems less than a millimetre so I started to think about grinding it down, then I asked myself why it was there,

After looking at the hub that’s still on the trailer I found that this little lip is the only thing keeping the hub fixed to the axle, in other words if I did grind this lip down then the only thin holding the wheel on would be the pressure on the outer bearing case, Needless to say but I sacked this idea,

Found out that the trailer was originally bought from O’sullivan marine in Kerry Whom I contacted yesterday via email, he got back to me saying he might have it in stock but needed the trailer serial # to be sure,

Just sent that off to him (Brian) so all I can do now is wait, the mechanic that tried to sort it for me reckoned that I could get a different type hub that would save me having deal with the trailer manufacturer which in turn will save me money,

But for now I will be happy just to get back on the road

Thanks again for all your help lads

Bearing.jpg
Bearing.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:24 am

Quare one all right. Normally its the big nut that holds everything in place. Looking from the inside of the hub, is the stuck shell up against a lip on that side too, as normal? Not fully clear on ur first pic.
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby dezzer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:15 pm

have similar bearings,they need to be pressed in and out,i went to the local argi store,they do all sorts,job done in a couple of mimutes,eddie.
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby mann » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi Hugo

Yes & no, the pressed lip would be pointing back to centre of trailer and as you say, where the castle nut and washer would normally be keeping everything in place there is a rim that stands about 3mm high and 2mm wide,

So the bearing is rammed in from the inside “trailer side” then the lip is folded over, I couldn’t just dump the hub without having a bash at getting the casing out so to kill a bit of time last night I ground down the lip and stuck the hub in a vice and bashed hell out of it “And my Knuckles” but I managed to get it,

I felt like a real man for getting something done that a 30 ton press couldn’t do, there was bits of metal flying everywhere of my chisel, one bit hit the palm of my hand and caused it to bleed “I think it may still be in there” but I wouldn’t give up till something gave,

I’m thinking of getting the bearing that I bough pressed into it and keeping it as a spare, I wouldn’t trust it on main roads but it could get me out of any dodgy situations such as blind bends, it would be a 10mph job but nice to know its there all the same

I have taken the full axle off and dropped it to a friends brother (diesel fitter) to see if he reckons I could use a more readily available hub, I know I may have to doctor it a bit but it will be worth the effort in the long run,

Another thing I read about similar trailers from the same manufacturer is that the main nut is a one time use, so you have to get a new one if you want to take off the hub, I was wondering about that when I seen no pin and the nut comes off in the same direction as the forward motion of the wheel, must have its own locking system, this crowd certainly know how to keep themselves in the supply business,

2013-09-28 18.45.22.jpg
2013-09-28 18.45.22.jpg (93.63 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

bearing rim 2.jpg
bearing rim 2.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

Forgot to add, Brian got back to me saying he aint got this one in stock and it could be a couple of months before he will be ordering from Brenderup trailers again :roll:

These things in life are sent to try us :evil: :)

Hugo,

the pencil tip is resting on the rim which is nearest the wheel 8)
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby mann » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:21 pm

dezzer wrote:have similar bearings,they need to be pressed in and out,i went to the local argi store,they do all sorts,job done in a couple of mimutes,eddie.

only just seen this eddie,

the chap that tried to press mine out reckoned the plate would fracture or do unseen damage if he tried any more pressure so he gave up :(
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby dezzer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 pm

should have come out,use plenty of greese before you press it back in,the nut is called a one shot hub nut and also the cap is a one time use as well,mine are alco parts,but even they could not supply bearing as they had wrong sizes,had a lot of hassel with trailer,but got bearing in foxs in dublim,eddie...
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby mann » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 pm

dezzer wrote:had a lot of hassel with trailer,eddie...

I know how you felt dude, I just missed a couple of trips out this weekend because of a simple bearing replacement,

Can only hope my mate has good news for me when he checks out my axle tomorrow, if he cant figure something out I will take it to indespension to see if they can sort it,

I really cant be putting up with this each time a simple job needs doing "Did I say simple :twisted: "

when I got the bearing out I expected to see pitting and rust inside the hub but to my surprise it was spotless clean, wonder if I could get my mate to weld back on a little lip to hold the bearing in,

thinking about it, did the chap that pressed yours back in repress the lip over the back of the bearing :?: in case you haven't checked already I would sure check it out,
mann
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby hugo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 pm

A total f****r all right. But Indispension isnt perfect either. My Rollercoaster hubs came with two little grooves on the inside that were supposed to let you put a punch tip onto the bearing shell to knock it back out. Trouble was, the casting was fairly crude so the grooves were too small and too rough, and the first bearing change was hell, hours of belting, cursing and bleeding knuckles like yours. Once I finally got them out, I opened out the grooves with a chain saw file, so now I can do them in just a few minutes. Proper manufacturing quality control could save end users a lot of time and pain.

There's rarely a straightforward fix on a boat. My Honda 50's tilt-and-trim motor failed in early August and I thought I'd be back on the water in a week. But I had to spend ages tracking down a reasonably-priced replacement that's finally due to arrive from the US this week. Honda Ireland wanted over €800 for a simple little electric motor....
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Boat Maintenance, Equipment & Tips