Boat questions

Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi all,
First off, I haven't a clue about boats but I was just wondering if it would be possible (or even allowed?) to fish out of a small boat/dinghy not too far offshore? I don't live near the sea and wouldn't envisage spending a fortune on a boat, but as I've stood on crowded rocks trying to avoid flying mackerel feathers the thought of bobbing on a calm sea in lovely deep water really appeals to me.
Am I mad to have such thoughts? If not any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:39 pm

if you wish to go to sea in an old bath tub its allowed(ridiculous isn't it?)but you would be a fool to try it.
first how small of a boat are we talking? 10feet, 16 feet? how far out are you going? where on the coast are you thinking of going? if we are talking a 16 foot boat on a goodish sort of day the world is pretty much your oyster if we are talking a 10 foot boat you are pretty much confined to really good days in estuaries and places like strangford lough. to go out of portrush in a 10 ft boat most days you would need good life insurance and goolies like water melons.
if you are considering a very small boat could i recomend an inflatable like an avon as they are pretty much unsinkable (unless you put a hook into them but that is not that easy)and fold into the boot of a typical car.
remember that 11feet is about twice as safe as 10feet and 12 feet nearly doubles your safety again.

Boat questions?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:53 pm

Thanks Raymondo,
Good advice there. As I said I don't have a clue about boats. I just want get a short distance offshore in any of the bays in Co.Waterford. The main ones I'd be thinking of using would be Boatstrand Harbour and Bunmahon Bay. The Avon inflatable sounds good to me (especially the unsinkable bit). Must look them up.
Regards.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:24 pm

you might also consider the pioneer range of polypropylene boats not as cheap as fibreglass but unsinkable and unbreakable. i'm at the other end of the country but there is a nice one for sale here with a planning hull (speedboat) and a 15hp engine. so they are out there second hand

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:06 pm

My advice would be hook up with a charter boat for the day fish with them and discover if you like it. For the sake of 50-80 euro it may be the best money you ever spent. If you like it think about a 13-17ft boat with a suitable engine for your needs.

hope this helps

Boat questions

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:07 pm

Just wondering if you've got out to sea yet ?
Before you go and buy a small boat I would agree with Brian Edwards and go out on a charter. Most reputable skippers will give you all the info that you should need including what to bring with you in the way of tackle and bait.
Don't forget waterproofs and a life jacket. If you do fancy this type of boat angling try and join a club.

Small boat fishing is not an aspect of fishing that should be dealt with lightly it can be extremely dangerous . If you don't know what to do then I would suggest that you don't even try it.

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:45 pm

"if you dont know what to do dont even try"-SQUALUS
if you don't ever try how will you ever know what to do? so one is suggesting that this man go out in a tin bath but taking it as read that he is not a complete suicidal idiot with a sea worthy boat and a healthy regard for his safety he should be fine

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Raymondo, thats not what I'm saying ! Be sure you are familiar with the engine as well as the boat and its limitations.