norway- DIY

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:54 am

As this is a new section thought i would add a small report from last summer's trip.

we did it ourselves and the total cost for a 10 day break was £750.

basically we got ourselves to Tromso Airport. for us that was 2 flights using ryanair and SAS.
we booked our accomodation including self drive boat from Din-Tur.
we booked Havnes just up from the now famous Koppangen.
from the airport it was a 2.5 hour drive in the hire car to the accomodation.
in Tromso we made our 1 and only shopping trip as there aren't many shops in the area. cost was approx £100 a head for 10 days of supplies. no booze as that was a joke. duty free will have to do.

the boat we ended up with was slow....6knts. it was supposed to do 10knts but that would have been the case had it not had gearbox problems. never mind it never let us down all week.

from where we based ourselves we could fish every day as there was always somewhere to hide from the weather.
the main fjord Lyngenfjord was a mile away and to our left was the area known as Rottsund. up the main channel lead to Arhnnoy and the area known as the hump. the rottsund was close but the other marks are weather prone and 2 hours+ away.

the fishing was patchy. good in places and average in others.
we only got to the island of arnhnoy once due to the weather and found plenty of cod but they were small for norwegian standards 5-18lbs. other anglers later that week got out and filled there boots with 30lb+ fish. this is the area that the mags cover in their articles.
the hump area we got to twice and we had a good day and an average one. fish here were from 3lbs-52lbs. here we had a day where i got that 52lb cod + several 30lb+ fish and my mate had a small halibut.
the other day we went there we had several 20lb+ and a few high teens mixed every trip with several smaller torsk(10lbs) and haddock to 3lb.

when the weather was poor we were stuck in the rottsund where there had been a charter boat working for 2 weeks previously who had killed a lot of fish so our chances were reduced.
we did get several high 30's along with many teens.
in here we did get several wolf fish to 23lbs, halibut to 18lb, haddock 2-3lbs, torsk to 11lbs. and many other fish.

overall we had a couple of really poor days but in general the fishing was good to excellent. and i'm not easy to please!

would recommend if you have not been ....go.

anyone wanting any info pm me. only too happy to help