IRISH SEA COD TAGGING

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

IRISH SEA COD TAGGING

Postby donal domeney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Emma White, Laboratory Analyst – Cod Tagging ( https://ie.linkedin.com/in/emma-white-3a5b5289 )
Fisheries Ecosystem Advisory Services,
West Pier, Howth, Co. Dublin.

Go this mail from the above.

Dear SAI SAC Committee.

I work with the Marine Institute and I have just begun a project tagging cod in the Irish Sea. The principle aim of the project is to investigate the mortality causes of cod. I’m hoping to work with interested stakeholders, both commercial and recreational, to initially tag the cod and then to facilitate the return of any tags that are caught. The project is in conjunction with AFBI in Northern Ireland, who have already tagged ~1000 cod. I am currently organising two commercial charters for the north Irish Sea and south Irish Sea, and I am developing ways of getting interested anglers involved, possibly doing some tagging themselves, to ensure that all size ranges of cod are represented in the project.

Would your members have any interest in getting involved in this project? A large part of the project is outreach so it would be great to get a chance to discuss the project with SAI SAC, even if there is no interest in tagging the cod, just informing your members about the project and to have a chat about the incentives to return the tags. I understand it’s coming to the end of the cod season but I hope to tag cod opportunistically throughout the year and would like to make sure that stakeholders are aware that the project is going on.
Thank you for taking the time to read my e-mail, it would be great to discuss the project further if it is of interest to the Sea Angling Ireland SAC.
Kind regards, Emma
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:10 pm), corbyeire (Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:52 pm), JOHN1 (Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:37 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions