French med/montpellier lure fishing?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

French med/montpellier lure fishing?

Postby seank » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 am

Hi lads. Im in the south of france for the next 3 weeks about 45 min from the coast in montpellier. I Wont get much time to fish but may have a day to explore at the weekend. Anybody have any experience of fishing in this region with lures or float fishing bait?

Thanks lads

Sean
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: French med/montpellier lure fishing?

Postby kieran » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi Sean

Fished off the rocks on one of the harbours, think it was Sete, with small prawn baits, chopped up, ended up legering as float fishing was a bugger in the wind.

Octopus were a nuisance, exceptional bait robbers. Like stealthy wrasse, except you don't even feel the bite! Bring elastic.

Ended up putting a few shot on the line and using the baits like a miniature lures - produced a few small bream which were saddlebacks (was told them were annular), one slightly larger gilthead, several lizard fish (watch the teeth), one octopus (not much bigger than my thumb!) and was bitten off by what the locals reckon was a baby moray. Just used a local quick buy cheap as chips telescopic set and was using 8 lb line, and size 8 hooks. Some big mullet cruised by but showed absolutely no interest.

Don't think any of the fish were more than 6"-8" long, bream were smaller.

You can buy pots of small preserved crabs which work well on the parrotfish, comber and groupers (if you get that lucky). Squid might last longer.
Made a big difference when the sun was low / gone.
I am told there was good flatfish available once the port traffic calms down, saw one only, looked like a blonde megrim.
Decent size comparable to what we get off our beaches now.

That must be 6-8 years ago... and I got burnt to **** by the salt wind. Slap on the UV! :mrgreen:

Enjoy...

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
coolmaine kiter (Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:16 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby corbyeire » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:34 pm

What??? youre not really going to miss the misery of the shore league for France!
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby seank » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 am

Hahaha. Hope ye get a better day for renvyle than last feh corbyeire. That was an experience ;) kieran thanks all I can do is try. I may just do some fishing in.the canals yet for black.bass and perch.. I will see. Do bass frequent that area at all
Target for 2017: Tope, Bass, Specimen shore pollack, Specimen Sea trout, Turbot over 30cm, common skate
seank
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby kieran » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 am

la loupe (bass) are supposed to be in the med, see similar thread on estartit, but I would not travel in anticipation, just hope! ;0)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby coolmaine kiter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Just fish for the black bass in the canal and surrounds, a bit more productive than the ocean!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
coolmaine kiter
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions