Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 am

http://irish-trophy-fish.com/wp-content ... t-2016.pdf

Re: Irish Specimen Fish Report 2016

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Some amount of hounds !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:47 pm

shortcircuit wrote:Some amount of hounds !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Resulting in an increase in specimen weight to 3.5kg for this year!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:35 pm

How do you register a fish for this - does it have to be killed? Who weighs it etc?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 pm

The fish must be weighed on a certified scales. You have to have photos clearly identifying the species and you must fill in a claim form, signed by witnesses. Some species (Blue Sharks, Tope, Spurs, Smoothound, Skate, Bull Huss) have a specimen length now, so you must photo them on a measuring mat. Still not sure how anyone will straighten out a Huss without killing it though :)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 pm

ardinn wrote:How do you register a fish for this - does it have to be killed? Who weighs it etc?

Further to Rob's post, if you download the report using Donal's link, you'll find full details on how to register a fish. All you have to do now is catch one!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Delighted about the smoothies. Great to see. Had one specimen myself last year as did a mate of mine. Even the small ones are great sport.
Was my best year for bass too with 2 over 10Ib and plenty of 9's and 8's. And i only fished 8 days..!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Eoghan wrote:Delighted about the smoothies. Great to see. Had one specimen myself last year as did a mate of mine. Even the small ones are great sport.
Was my best year for bass too with 2 over 10Ib and plenty of 9's and 8's. And i only fished 8 days..!

Only fishing for 8 days is a disastrous year Eoghan. No matter which way you dice it.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Disastrous..? I can think of worse things. lol Depends on how ye look at it Rory. 3 weekends away fishing all day sat and sun and 2 quick one day trips from 6am til dark. I could fish locally but its not worth the time and effort for me really. 3 small kids so have to get the balance right until they are a bit bigger. When I go I pick the right weekends in advance and the right venues. Nothing but nothing will beat a 9Ib and 2 x 10 ib's right after each other on a light Illex S210m and soft plastics. 3 casts in a row.....No kidding. I doubt I will ever do that again and I doubt many people have done it before never mind last year. I'll take that disaster every time. :-)

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:47 am

Something I made up for my own quick reference. I update every year and is handy to keep in the phone.
If any errors show up you might post a note here and I'll correct them.
SPEC FISH 2017.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Thats dead handy ,Ill have to make lone up for fresh water too

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Eoghan wrote:Disastrous..? I can think of worse things. lol Depends on how ye look at it Rory. 3 weekends away fishing all day sat and sun and 2 quick one day trips from 6am til dark. I could fish locally but its not worth the time and effort for me really. 3 small kids so have to get the balance right until they are a bit bigger. When I go I pick the right weekends in advance and the right venues. Nothing but nothing will beat a 9Ib and 2 x 10 ib's right after each other on a light Illex S210m and soft plastics. 3 casts in a row.....No kidding. I doubt I will ever do that again and I doubt many people have done it before never mind last year. I'll take that disaster every time. :-)

Why didn't you make a specimen claim?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

No certified scales Pat and I would never keep a fish just for that although I would love nothing more than one for a Bass on my wall.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Great to see the specimen hounds showing in big numbers.
A lot of the locations noted for the catches are spots I regularly fish, maybe I'm not trying hard enough! :lol: