Mussel Dredging Dublin Bay

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:50 am

Just saw this in the Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mu ... 72889.html

I was not aware that this was going on ( did not think that there was a stock of mussels in the bay). According to the Independent
" The Supreme Court found that Article 10 of the Constitution, which provides that all natural resources belong to the State, means regulation of fishing for mussel seed in the State's territorial waters "is the management of a natural resource, and therefore property belonging to the State, which must be provided for by law"."

I wonder if there is an opportunity here for anglers and angling organisations to have a say in the saving and rehabilitation of this natural resource.

Re: Mussel Dredging Dublin Bay

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:51 pm

one of the main reasons why bottom fishing close to shore has gone downhill over the last few decades on the east coast

read some of Ashley Haydens accounts of the change in fishing in Wicklow since the dredging started

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 pm

I have read all ( i think ) of Ashley Hayden's accounts of the changes in Greystones fishing both on this site and on his blog and his views on the decline mirror my own.

My sea angling journey started in 1960 on St. Michael's wharf in Dun Laoghaire. I also have witnessed the sad decline in sea angling in Dublin Bay as did my grandfather before me. He attributed this decline to excessive inshore trawling and I would have to agree with him, having spent 6 hours last Friday in various places in the bay ranging from off Sorrento point to Coliemore Harbour to Bulloch to the back of the east pier and finally off the end of the west pier catching nothing but 100's of tiny whiting, a solitary pouting, some joey mackerel and three herrings.

That is why I ask if we anglers now have an opportunity to influence things for the better given the Supreme Court ruling.

Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Does anyone know what this ruling actually means? Does it mean no more mussel dredging or that it has to be assessed properly before consent is issued?

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

daveyboy wrote:Does anyone know what this ruling actually means? Does it mean no more mussel dredging or that it has to be assessed properly before consent is issued?

By my simple reading it means the Irish guys can wreck the place all by themselves.... :roll:

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:05 pm

Same as normal...!

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:54 pm

That was my reading of it too. Shame.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 am

In essence Jim C's reply is correct however change will only occur with collective action.

I can say categorically on this thread that over the years and in particular over the last 11 months that I have reached out to all and sundry stakeholders who potentially could make a collective difference to come together and pool their knowledge, experience and drive for positive marine habitat change - result - NOTHING.

Take my word for it based on eight years of objective assessment and experience - the lack of knowledge and leadership when it comes to the marine at decision maker level in this country and by that I mean both the permanent and non permanent Government plus the various NGO's and Quango's is astounding - so if all those who read and contribute to this thread want change you are going to have to come together and fight for it, other than that watch your marine resource disappear.

Having said that, I know based on my "objective" research of this subject that positive changes can be made regarding how we manage our inshore marine resource, as I write there is an academic department within one of Ireland's top universities that will contribute research effort in this area if a driver organisation is formed, I know this because the professor and one of his colleagues (who works on driving rehabilitation of the Firth of Clyde marine habitats) told me personally.

It's in our hands lads and lassies, As the Beatles sang: "Come together", you all know where to find me.............

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:08 pm

you know where to find us too Ashley - a phonecall is nice when you are not turning up!

I admire youre passion for the topic, but you cant tar all organisations with the same brush - its give and take on youre own part aswell...

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Take my word for it Corbyeire I've made the phone calls and the emails and the letters to people who can make decisions, have turned up and the people who get "paid" to turn up subsequently don't bother their rear end to respond or engage.