Marine and Freshwater Fishes of UK and Ireland + tanks

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:07 am

A guide to the identification of more than 370 species

http://www.fishactive.com/pdfs/Fish_Key_Guide.pdf

Re: Marine and Freshwater Fishes of Britain and Ireland

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 pm

an absolutely fabulous read I am two hours into this and cannot get away from it and makes me want to search for some of these unheard of fish that are in our waters fabulous find where did you get it from brilliant piece of knowledge on what is in our seas .
mickser

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 pm

I am after getting a aquarium and decided to stock it with marine fish,a friend brought me rock pooling and we got a few fish and I didn't know what species they were so I did a lot of searching on the net and found it,if you never did rock pooling it's well worth doing you will get to see a lot of species that you would never get on hook and line,on the last low tide I got baby squid,fifteen spine stickle backs,dragonets,pipefish,mullet,3spine stickle backs,2 spot goby,sand and rock gobys,loads of other small fish as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:30 pm

I will post up some more links to a few rock pooling sites when I get back to the computer

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:49 pm

gfkelly1969 wrote:I will post up some more links to a few rock pooling sites when I get back to the computer

And a few pics of your aquarium?

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I can't wait you have started something new to me and I am going to take it up this winter months looking forward to this in the future.
Mickser

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:15 am

a few photos of the aquarium
tank1.JPG

1 and 3spine.JPG

2 spot goby.JPG

blenny.JPG

blenny2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 am

corkwing2.jpg

mullet.JPG

corkwing stickle back1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:25 am

some more of the links i promised

http://www.seawater.no/index/english.html#P

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/index.htm

http://www.catchalot.co.uk/aquaindex.htm

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Rockpool.htm

http://www.uk-fish.info/index.html#topknot

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 am

Hi gerry it looks great with the sea species in it. Just wondering how will you feed them I. Sure you have solved this one already. Any fishing?

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:25 am

Super looking set up. On average, how long would sea fish live in captivity?

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 pm

interesting. i guess it is similar to keeping a tropical salt water tank only the temperture is differnt?
so what temperature are those tanks kept at?? and how do you maintain that temperature?

thanks for posting
and great links too 8)

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 am

Determined Dan wrote:Hi gerry it looks great with the sea species in it. Just wondering how will you feed them I. Sure you have solved this one already. Any fishing?

hi dan i am lucky i have a friend that worked for a aquarium and knows his stuff and i got a load of information from him,they are quite easy to feed,i have plenty sandeel,squid,mackerel and i can pick a few mussels and limpets when i go for water for them also while i was rock pooling i got a load of shrimp and i salted them,getting plenty of fishing done but not getting a lot,you will have to give me a few tips for the big skate
JimC wrote:Super looking set up. On average, how long would sea fish live in captivity?

thanks jimC not sure how long the fish would live in captivity but i will ask the friend when i see him again
chuckaroo wrote:interesting. i guess it is similar to keeping a tropical salt water tank only the temperture is differnt?
so what temperature are those tanks kept at?? and how do you maintain that temperature?

thanks for posting
and great links too 8)

i am running them at room temperature,if i get a new fish i put a airline in the can of water and leave the fish in it till the water reaches room temperature before putting the fish in the tank,i was told that if there was a difference of 2c in the water temperature when you transfer the fish it could kill the fish

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 am

mickser wrote:I can't wait you have started something new to me and I am going to take it up this winter months looking forward to this in the future.
Mickser

i only started about a month ago and really enjoy it,i am getting to see a load of new things,all the new species,sea spiders,squid,crabs,starfish,sea snails,sea urchins,Sponges
good thing about it is the best time for rock pooling is when the tide is low and the only gear you need is a net and bucket

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am

thanks for the response. i didnt think that all those species would survive at room temperature but then again if they can survive warm rock pools then maybe so. it will be interesting to find how long they do survive then.
so it is just a normal tank with only a circulating filter? dont you add any salt at all i.e. do you just change the water from getting buckets from the sea and thats it?

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Wow!great stuff.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 am

chuckaroo wrote:thanks for the response. i didnt think that all those species would survive at room temperature but then again if they can survive warm rock pools then maybe so. it will be interesting to find how long they do survive then.
so it is just a normal tank with only a circulating filter? dont you add any salt at all i.e. do you just change the water from getting buckets from the sea and thats it?

i had a chat with the friend tonight and he say that room temperature is no problem form most species,some of the rock pools would get very warm during the summer
the corkwing wrasse can be found Norway to Morocco so there would be a big difference in temperature between the two places,the temperature is not a problem unless you change the fish to water that is more then 2c of a difference
the tank has a circulating filter and under gravel filter,i have 2 Rena Air 100 Pumps pumping air in to it

i don't add any salt i just use sea water,i live 4 miles from the sea so its quite easy to get a few cans of water,any time i am fishing i get a few cans

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 am

JimC wrote:Super looking set up. On average, how long would sea fish live in captivity?
i asked about how long they live in captivity and he said if they are looked after right they will live longer them in the wild

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 am

this might help locate some of the species on the list

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm

gfkelly1969 wrote:i had a chat with the friend tonight and he say that room temperature is no problem form most species,some of the rock pools would get very warm during the summer
the corkwing wrasse can be found Norway to Morocco so there would be a big difference in temperature between the two places,the temperature is not a problem unless you change the fish to water that is more then 2c of a difference
the tank has a circulating filter and under gravel filter,i have 2 Rena Air 100 Pumps pumping air in to it

i don't add any salt i just use sea water,i live 4 miles from the sea so its quite easy to get a few cans of water,any time i am fishing i get a few cans

thats pretty cool gfkelly, thanks again for the response
and your friend sounds spot on, its makes sense
i have a nice 3foot tank sitting empty... something to consider maybe in the new year! :D
cheers
8)