Press Release IFI:National policies for Fish Management

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:47 pm

National policies for the management of trout, pike and bass, were today (22.08.14) launched by Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI), the state agency responsible for the protection, conservation, management and promotion of Ireland’s inland fisheries and sea angling resources.
Speaking at the launch, IFI chairman, Mr Brendan O’Mahony, commented, “These policies are the first national species policies to be issued from IFI and in this regard represent a new era for fisheries management in Ireland. The policies will provide for the better conservation and management of bass, pike and trout in Ireland and will help ensure sustainability of stocks into the future. In addition, they will allow for improved angling, economic impacts and help to sustain and improve the many jobs that are supported by recreational angling in Ireland.”
The three policy documents have been formulated, through a rigorous consultation process, by groups comprising: fisheries scientists; angling federations; and industry representatives.
The recommendations will now be brought forward and put into practice by IFI. Where required IFI will seek legislative changes to underpin and support the policies, which will be reviewed after a period of three years.
The main recommendations put forward include:
For Bass: a reduction in the daily angling bag limit from two to one fish in any 24 hour period; an increase in the minimum landing size; and a review of the closed season.
For Pike: in designated, managed wild brown trout fisheries, the current bye-law is recommended to be amended to prohibit the killing of any pike greater than or equal to 85 cm in length; all larger rod-caught pike should be returned to the water alive; in all other waters of the State an angler will be permitted to take and kill one pike of less than or equal to 50 cm in length (as per the existing bye-law); additionally, the policy calls for further research into pike movement and transfer programmes.
For Trout: a national minimum size limit; national bag limits; designation of a number of lakes and rivers sections as wild brown trout fisheries; in addition to other measures.
Dr Ciaran Byrne, CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland added, “I would like to thank all who assisted with the formulation of these policies, and I would also like to acknowledge the passion and understanding that all of the groups have for their species of interest: the environment; habitat; and pressures that they face. The challenge now is to implement these policies through the work of IFI, angling practices, and where necessary, with legislative support. I look forward to progressing these policies with the same collaborative approach as used in their formulation.”
http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-re ... icies.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Press Release IFI:National policies for Fish Management

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:44 pm

One bass a day seems fair nice to see pike getting a bit of tlc too:-(

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm

whose going to enforce these new measures they find it hard enough to police the laws that are already in place

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:21 pm

choppers00 wrote:whose going to enforce these new measures they find it hard enough to police the laws that are already in place

Like the "No Smoking" ban, we the anglers will have to enforce this new legislation.
Anglers will have to be willing to put their heads on the chopping block and report illegal actions by others.

None of this " I saw a fellow last week with 2 bass ". Please do not waste your or our time it's too late. Go away you are just frustrating the issue . Report it when you see it. Make sure you have your facts right on what you saw. Photos and car registration numbers are important.

If it’s an issue with a boat again get a photo and registration number of the boat where possible. The biggest problems with boats is that they are more than likely fishing legally where they are, it is what they have in their nets makes its illegal.

Build up a good relationship with your local IFI officer he/she will learn to trust you and your reports.
I’ve been there, wore the scars and have the scalps. These lads have never let me down on a call.
Their biggest problem is there are under staffed. If we as anglers start reporting genuine issues of illegal fishing then they will be able to go to the powers above with a reason for more man power.

The wheel is back on the wagon it is up to us keep it moving
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.