Has anybody experienced anything like this.

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:54 pm

I was fishing Leahinch beach one evening and walked down the beach and met an old guy with a rod fit to throw 10 ozs of lead two huge hooks tied on to the line with no swivel and a big weight and thick line and an old paint bucket of lug worm.
Anyway I was there with my brand new bass rod and expensive abu 6500 sports mag and lug worm rag etc.
To make a long story short this guy was barley casting out and caught 3 lovely Bass in the space of an hour.
I was casting short too but it just goes to show its not all about the gear you use.

Bass

Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:59 am

A friend of mine tried fishing for the first time in Whiting Bay near Ardmore in Waterford, hoping to catch mackeral. It was the summer before last and he was using a heavy boat rod a large multipier with very little line although about 30/40 lb and feathers. He was incapable of casting more than 20 yards and stood in the surf and quess what a 9lb Bass on his third cast.
He was converted to fishing and brought a basic beachcaster and fixed spool and despite some tuitation has not caught a fish since, mind you he has only gone about 5 times.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:13 am

At St. John's Point a few years ago, myself and my father were down fishing. he was thumping mackeral feathers out to the horizon and getting very little all day - I was floating mackeral strips for wrasse and only managed a few very small ones.

All of a sudden this old fella lands down with a big coil of rope and an oul rusty bucket with holes in it. At one end of the rope there was a very dodgy looking home made feather rig, with a dirty big lead on the end of it.

Anyway, this oul boy lifts the rope, starts swinging it about his head and then chucks it out to sea - it didn't go very far as you coul imagine. He let it sit until it hit the bottom then as hard as he could he started pulling in his rope. Four "casts" later, the oul rusty bucket is full of flapping mackeral and the oul fella bids us good day and goes on his merry way.

:?: :? :?: Just goes to show...

Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:44 pm

Irish Shamrock

I think that oul fella was on telly, and made a certant TV boy'o to go very red in the face with all his high price stuff.

Fair play till the oul bugger, may he get many more buckets of fish