Anybody caught a fish.......

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:30 pm

Anybody caught a fish with another hook still in it's mouth from a previous angler? Just wondered what happened to that wrass that bit off my hook last weekend!
:cry:

Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:15 pm

I have witnesses... honest!

I was fishing off the rocks in Keem Bay earlier this year looking for flatties and hooked something so I proceeded to haul it in and it was a load of braid, with a rig attached. My first thought was that it was my initial crack off (yep, had one to my utter shame and embarrassment). But I was not using braid, anyhow, hauled it further it and found a full three hook flapper rig on the end of it, complete with a 1lb flounder!

Fish was released unharmed - how about that for a lucky fish!!!

FWIW...

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:43 pm

I fished a place called Rinnena Creek on the Shannon Estuary which is a great flounder venue and not too many people fish it but around 4 years ago one frosty winter morning I caught a nice flounder with a big hook in his mouth.
It was one of those old silver bait holder's which you see some people using for pleasure rock fishing.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:11 pm

Wrong sort of angling, but I once caught a perch in a lake in the west of Ireland with two worm hooks in his mouth, were there a while as well as they were all rusted.

Funny Fish

Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:51 pm

That last Tope I caught had its whole bottom jaw in two halves! It looked like it had healed up though with two sperate flaps. Not quite a hook in its gob but it does prove that fish can and will often survive injury. Fresh water fish are more suseptible to fungus etc. Fish in the sea seem to be more hardy due to a harsher environment. Also most fungi found in water cannot grow in the sea due to the salt. My guess is that her jaw was mangled by a wire trace sliceing into it during a fight with an anglers rod.

Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:12 pm

4 or 5 years ago I was codding out of Dungeness when I got a good hit on my pirk.

I reeled in a cod that had another bar pirk stuck in it's snout. Poor fish was in pretty poor condition, really skinny for it's length.

Dunlaoghaire Pier

Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:14 pm

Never caught a fish that had a hook in its mouth but caught the same dosfish twice within the space of 20 minutes. I knew it was the same fish because its mouth was still bleeding from where I took the first hook out

Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:32 pm

caught a wrass two years ago, off a very small peir, "sorry forget where" with about a 100 kids fishing it, well it felt like 100.

anyway, the wrass had three hooks in it, one mine two very shinny ones with beads, leads etc, when one kid said "hey mister, thats mine and can I have it back now!,

Bloody Belfast kids, bring back the troubles, teach them some manners

Dave

PS, that's the truth

Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:42 pm

Dave wrote 'Bloody Belfast kids, bring back the troubles, teach them some manners'

Now- we would not wish the middle part of that sentance. But those kids can't be as bad as the Limerick kids ( and adults ) that spread copious litter and dead fish along the coast of N. Clare. They also come and fish about 2 feet from me when there are miles of clear shore.
With apologies to the decent Limerick fisherfolk, who are seemingly in a minority.

Peter

Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:39 pm

You think that's bad you should hear the carry on around Dunlickey and the Bridges of Ross some of those Limerick lad's are fairly dodgy I saw a fight break out over a crossed line.