which headlamp

Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:13 pm

Im saving up a few bob for a new headlamp, I have a petzl zoom but Im giving it to my little fella, the fishing bug and his 'request' for his own gear has realy taken hold of him.

I have narrowed the choice down to two types from the catalogues. The speleo anglers headlight or the samalite range. both are fairly expensive but Im prepared to save and pay the money for a good one as we do a lot of night fishing.

Has anyone used any of these and would you recommend one as a worthwhile investment .

thanks lads

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:46 pm

sorry i don't know much about these....but i am going to buy the petzel zoom. how do did you find it Mick?
Last edited by m.b3 on Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:38 pm

Hi mb3
I found it to be quite a good headlight - comfortable on the head and the zoom part is very handy. I put a halogen bulb into mine, and it eats batteries. I found that when you are playing a fish in the surf at night the headlight struggles to illuminate the area making t difficult to see and play the fish properly. But otherwise a great general light and had no maintenance problems with it.

Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:26 pm

thanks for that Mick although i don't know if i'll get one now?!

Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:12 am

I bought a headlamp from Maplin, Jervis St. in Dublin, for about EUR15. It has both a halogen and LED light source with an external battery pack that holds four D type batteries. You can also adjust the beam focus. I am very happy with it and the LED in particular runs forever. Maplin also do mail order from [url]http://www.maplin.co.uk[/url].

You can't go wrong at that price!

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:53 pm

thanks lads