Fishing Types

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:25 pm

Hey Folks, Looking for a little Help again, Trying to get into this whole shore fishing.

What is Surf Fishing ?
What is Legering ?.
Is there any goods Books out there to help with hooks / riges and fishing styles ?

Thanks Fitz

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:05 pm

Hi Richard

Surf fishing is fishing into a heaving run of waves - quite often there are three breaking waves on a beach and people often refer to the final third (outermost wave) as the Third Breaker. There is an excellent book by Bob Moss by this very title that is well worth the money. Surf fishing is mainly for Bass although you will pick up Flounder, Plaice, Dabs, Sole (in the summer on the south coasts if you use very small hooks), Dogfish, Codling, Coalfish, even Pollack and Wrasse on occassion, not to mention various types of Ray, Tope, Bull Huss...

Legering is any technique which uses a weight to leave your bait on the sea bed. It is very useful in the above surf fishing given this is mostly onto sand (aka clean) marks, whereas foul or rough marks (rocks) will leave you with heavier tackle losses if you use a legering technique.

As for books, I'll let others forum members recommend their personal favourites... and explain why! HTH...

Magazines

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:42 am

Hi,

I'm a bit sad as I religiously buy Sea Angler, Total Sea Fishing and the Irish Angler every month.

There are generally plenty of tips on casting, rigs, baits etc in these each month. It might be no harm to pick up a copy of Sea Angler this month (or at least spend half an hour reading it in Easons!).

Sea Angler also do a video I think, I haven't seen it but I believe some of the lads on the forum have it? Can anyone provide any info on it?

You should also take a look at some of the information on the front page of this website under "Tackle Options" and "Baits and Rigs", it will give you a good feel for the jargon we tend to use!

Sea fishing

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:53 am

Excellent deal available from Amazon.co.uk re learning to sea fish, buy both books for £14.35 :-

The practical guide to saltwater fishing AND Sea Angler's guide to bait & rigs

Thats less than 4 issues of any Sea Angling magazine. In fact, I may even buy them myself. Other than that, you could do worse than buy Sea Fishing Properly explained by Ian Ball, available from Easons.ie for €5.95, won't damage your pocket and good beginners book.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:27 am

i use Steve's trick and read them all in Eason's! let the girlfriend go into Penny's! apart from the above magazines mentioned by Steve there is also a good column by Mike Thrussell in Anglers Mail. the reason why i stopped buying them is that over the years the shelves began to fill up with hundred of these magazines- you could buy a top class rod blank for the amount spent! or bring the girl on a nice holiday! i now by hooks/ swiveels/ baits/ etc. on a regular basis. i iwas going to buy a magazine it would be Irish Angler or Irish Anglers Digest. 1 because there good and 2 because i am a loyal oul sod.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:22 pm

The sea angler videos can be ordered through sea angler magazine and I believe they are very good. A great beginners book is the consise encyclopedia of fishing it covers coarse, sea and game and Alan Yates is the author of the sea section. A must for beginners!