Fish Eyes as bait

Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:09 pm

In a recent sea angler I saw that a secret bait on the english match angling circuit is fish eyes! Anyone ever had success?

Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:33 pm

yes George is rated highly by some (over here too). i have to admit that when i tried it there were a lot of fish showing anyway so i could not really comment on increased catch rates. whiting eyes are most commonly used to tip baits, when they are being caught in numbers for the table. don't just cut eyes out of fish to tip baits! and then throw them back! i am not suggesting you would but there are some real scumbags out there! Dave Tilly the shamed matchman(!) swears by them, or has been known to shout, "whitin eyes r a great bait" at customers in his shop! how's the match fishin going for ye?

Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:55 pm

Yep. my tuppence worth...

You often see people filleting a mackerel for baits and throwing the head and spine overboard. Just threw the best bit away.... scientific studies have shown that predatory fish are attracted to the patterns associated with eyes, which is why the feature routinely on lures. Not sure about tipping off as a bait, new one on me, but I guess it should work, especially if the bait has any movement to it. Hang onto those mackerel heads, and if you halve a mackerel, fish the head first rather than the eye-less tail section. I'm not so sure about this in relation to legering for conger etc. - maybe some of the match anglers out there would care to comment... ?

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:45 am

appart from the visual attraction fisheyeballs contain lots of juices. maybe when a hook is passed through them they release these into the water? i think my mother would draw the line at me freezing down a supply of eyeballs!

Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:12 am

The biggest conger and bull huss will go for mackerel heads with the guts hanging out. Its a good way of getting the biggest fish. Use a 6/0 hook and shove the point through the eye and out the neck. I cut off mackerel heads whiles still frozen to keep for another day if I don't think theres a chance of big conger.

Mackerel head is also supposed to be a top rock bait for big bass.

Donagh