galway/salthill marks???

Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:08 pm

Guys,
can anybody help?I'm staying in Salthill for 3 days with the wife and kids next week and naturally looking to get some fishing in.Any good marks witin about 30 mins?I want to stay close by for sake of marital harmony.She knows that some fishing gear is coming with us but hopefully I can hide the fact that the car will in fact be packed to capacity with all the essential fishing gear.

Galway / Salthill marks

Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:50 pm

I went over into Galway Harbour today to pick up a relation. On the way into the harbour, there were about 8 anglers fishing from the end of the harbour wall that projects towards Mutton Island. This is the Salthill side of Galway City. On the basis that there were so many fishing here, I guess that it must be a worthwhile mark.

Peter

salthill.

Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:52 pm

bigcol. there are two good marks in salthill itself. the first is across from the aquarium, use fish baits with fresh mackerl being the best. speices caught are dogies, huss, conger and the odd thornback. the next mark is at the back of the diving boad at the end of the prom. again fish baits are best with dogies and huss being the likely catch. end of august to the end of september is the best time to target the huss. after dark and fresh mackerl gets you a few fish a session, most fish in the 5-10 pound mark.

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:59 pm

Thanks lads.I'll give these marks a go either very early or late to try and avoid the inevitable mackeral bashers.

Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:19 pm

there are a few other marks not many people know about...
as you heard there is across fromm the aquarium... mosly doggies, few huss and conger.. see in gallery for the sea trout i caught there.. and rockling and thornies... good at high tide...

another place is the slipway at low tide (across from kitty o'sheas)
good for doggies and thornies... tub gurnard have been caught there and flatties... you might have to move if jetski's show up..

another place one of the loss known marks(one i keep to myself) is right across from the salthill hotel (deadly at low tide) doggies, huss,conger,ray,pollock,pouting,flatties and many many more.... not many know about this place.. when fishing low tide you'll see a big rock full of muscles set up on that and cast straight out.. i'd nearly catch fish every cast...

and then there's blackrock good anytime of tide ... night fishing of the diving tower is good (fish on the right side on the first level and cast out 45 degrees..(very good in winter)

any one else fishing salthill e-mail me

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:09 pm

Thanks Steve.That low water mark sounds promising.I'll let you know how I get on.

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:30 pm

Steve,thanks again for that mark in salthill.Good to meet you in the flesh.
I took Steve's advice and fished for 1&1/2 hours over low tide.Not a bite for the first 45 minutes over slack water.Once the tide started running again I caught a fish every cast within 2-3 minutes.10 doggies in 40 minutes.This also looks like prime huss ground but Steve informed me that they don't arrive until late august /september.Highlight of the day was my 5 year old daughter landing her 1st fish,a doggie about 1 1/2 lbs.
Steve,if you are ever down in Kerry let me know and I wil try return the favour.