Dingle Bass Marks, previously Portmarnock Martello Tower

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:17 pm

Donagh

Sorry we seem to have strayed a bit from Portmarnock and I'm not helping :oops:
Lucky you going to Dingle - having read above all about plugging in amongst the rocks reminds of a good spot you might like to try out near Dingle. You may already know it, it's called Trabeg but if you have a new map, its called TrĂ¡ Chathail. If you go to the extreme right hand side, there are a number of perches you can cast out from for bass. I believe the summer is not the best bassing time in Dingle, but if you're there even before it gets light, you have a good chance. If no fish, it's got to be one of the best places ever to be at sunrise. :D
Tight lines
Tim

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:24 am

I'm going to castlegregory so I was planning on trying rough point and the cloghane estuary.
Donagh

Castlegregory

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:35 am

Donagh,

If you're heading down this way, try the Back Beach near Fahamore. Drive out from castlegregory towards Fahamore, and before the turn off to Kilshannig there will be a lay by for you to park at on the left handside of the road. It's a few hundred yards before a religious grotto on the left handside of the road (no harm saying a quick prayer here!).

The beach runs for a few km along the left side of the road. This place has never let me down, caught my best fish here too (a shade over 6lbs). You'll need some form of waders though, and watch out for the rogue waves, the surf is very strong and you should not wade too deeply, even with chesties. Go for a single hook paternoster, with a max of 8 inch snood, and bait either with a large sandeel (at least 5 inches) or a good helping of lug (3 minimum - if using several lug it might be worth using a pennell rig). Don't be tempted into using a long snood, it'll only end up in a tangle. Use a strong hook, Kamasans are good, and size 4/0 would be ideal. By far the best time is dawn. You will pick up fish during the day, but very early morning is unbeatable. I took 5 schoolies to 4lb here last summer between 6 and 8am. This compares to maybe 1 fish for 4 hours fishing during the day. I rate this place far higher than the other beaches such as Stradbally/Fermoyle/Kilcummin.

The area around Fahamore and Rough Point has excellent fishing too. As the name implies the ground is very rough, so float fishing and spinning/plugging are the best methods. There are large wrasse here amongst the rocks, and two years ago I saw a huge bass literally under my feet while I was setting up my tackle. It's best fished at low tide for bass, and again dawn and dusk are the best times. Be careful again if it's rough here, the weather really effects this area and it's a dangerous place to be if the waves are of any size.

There is also a noted ray mark, which is just past the bridge over the stream on the way out to Fahamore. You can actually fish from the roadside (the right handside, into Tralee Bay) here, high tide being the best time.

And make sure you drop into Spillanes pub, the food and Guiness are both excellent!

Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:19 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. Spilanes is great for cheap grub and I'll have to stop off to the green room for a few pints as well. Hopefully I'll get to fish after all that :lol:

Donagh