Launce vs sand eel

Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:50 pm

Whats the difference between using frozen launce and sand eels as reguards bait effectiveness. Is there any difference using either for dogs, thornback, bull huss or bass.

Donagh

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi Donagh

I can't specify a difference in respect of their being frozen, however thornbacks will certainly take half a small sandeel based on the experience last weekend. A fresh launce (greater sandeel) was used to telling effect in Keem Bay earlier in the year, it had been caught on mackerel feathers. Launce is bulkier and will give a better scent trail but it will require either a pennel formation or plainly a far bigger hook. In terms of the dogs and thornies, the sandeel will certainly work but I think you will need a bigger bait for the bull huss and the bass - bigger mouths to feed. Bigger baits are more crab resistant and can therefore stay down longer, offering a longer window for the scent trail to contact a fish.

FWIW...

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:40 pm

Thanks for the response. From that I presume they'll have the same if not better sent trail as normal sand eels.

The ammo launce I have are blue colouring (the sand eels I normaly get are green) and are only about 5 inchs long. I understand only bass on my list care about the sight presentation so which colouring is better blue or green.

Donagh

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:54 pm

Hi Donagh

You got me - I;ve never seen blue sand eels before or launce for that matter - in fact I can't remember seeing a blue dyed bait ever! Letus know how you get on - are you sure they are launce? Launce in this neck of the woods are 10 inches or more and a good inch in diameter...

FWIW

Sandeel

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:37 am

Donagh - I assume you are talking about the color of the packet? I think Ammo do different sizes and the color dictates the size?

Castlegregory

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:39 am

PS - posted a note on fishing here under the Portmarnock thread. Enjoy the trip!

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:28 pm

Fresh launce have a blue tinge along their back and are a great big bass bait. The colour soon fades after they are caught.

sandeels and launce

Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:25 pm

Hi George

I think the blue gloss on a fresh launce would be long gone by the time it has hit a freezer vacuum sealer in plastic - far more likely that the packaging itself is blue colour coded! :D But I do agree a fresh section of luance will catch almost anything decent that swims including Bass.

Cheers

Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:11 am

Sorry lads the grey/blue was just on the sides. When they came out of the packet they were a green on top. Still not the bright green of normal sand eels. Just shows how good the blast frozen ammo is that they keep the blue tinge.

My secound packet vacumn seal had gone and the eels fell apart with freezer burn but I caught a thorny with the other packet.

Donagh