Harbour conger-how,why,when ,where?

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:32 am

Recent convert to conger fishing from piers seeks advice?
Sounds like a bad personal ad.
Ive recently got into conger fishing from piers. With varying degrees of success. However, knowing the basics eg night fishing is best , low water etc Ive got it all wrong.
3 trips to foynes has me confused. Got 5 runs in bright sunlight at high water in foynes in an hour producing two nice fish and two lost fish. 2 night trips produced nothing
Mystified.
Im now going to try a night trip to fenit. Any suggestions on tactics, tides and best times to fish? Venues?
Kev

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:56 am

Kev,

As thick as a mans arm, swimmimng in broad daylight in Dingle harbour near the boats, well, that's what Bob Moss said last summer!
Tim

Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:20 am

Hi kev,

The best venues experience strong tides e.g. tarbert and foynes. Fish them when the tide isn't running (High or Low tides). This means short sessions on spring tides long sessions on neaps. Using running ledger for piers and pulley for rough with strong 6/0 hooks, 60lb nylon trace and decent rolling ball swivel. Use multiplier with rachet on for bite indiction. Don't strike until its running. Mackerel heads are deadly. I saw a conger cut open by a bloke at tarbert and it was stuffed with crab. Nightime is usually better than daytime but during daytime when winds pick up silt in the Shannon making it cloudy try a peeled whole squid as it's deadly.

Kev don't bother with fenit go to Tarbert.

Donagh

Conger

Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:21 am

How's things Kev.
Have you ever considered Ballycotton Harbour?
Conger would be regular there both inside and outside the breakwater. The eels are considerable size. I guy I know had a specimen there last year. It seems to be popular at night. The only down side would be that the place can be jammed with mackerel bashers during the summer months.

Jim.

Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi

Fenit Harbour - go talk to the lads in the sea angling club - their clubhouse just to the left inside the marina as you come to the end of the viaduct / bridge. Very decent bunch and there is almost always someone there...

Try Carrigaholt pier or wreck.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:34 pm

Carrigaholt pier seems to be a good venue during the day and night.
Just drop a head of a mackerel down the side facing Kerry.
There are lots of marks on the clare side which are good for conger.
But the best place of all is the wreck near Carrigaholt the fish are monsters and its an easy venue to fish from.