muppets from shore

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:34 am

A few weeks back I saw a guy with a small muppet on his shore rig and he has catching doggies and thornies. Anyone have any success or opinions on using them from shore.

Donagh

Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:14 pm

You do hear the strangest stories of the weirdest catches, and I suppose anything's possible sometime or other.............and I can see a doggie taking a lure so a muppet is possible if you're spinning, but I reckon you'll be trying a long long time to hit a thornie like that :!:

Still, you never know, and that's one of the joys of angling. Might be interesting to try if you get sick of catching them on bait all the time and want a fresh challenge :shock:

But if you just want to catch consistently, go for fresh bait every time. :P

Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:32 pm

Just to clarify this. He was legering with fresh mackerel with a muppet type attracter on the snood about the size of a matchbox. He caught 2 small thornbacks as well as the good few doggies which was better than my single doggy.

Donagh

Muppets

Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:18 pm

There was a trend in the Shannon estuary during the 90's when a lot of the Limerick Sea Anglers had great sucess with a muppet and fish bait.
For some reason it seemed to work for big fish such as huss and conger they say a red muppet is best as the red color attracts the fish.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm

I caught both dogs and thornies using Mackerel baited muppets lobbed out from Kerrykeel pier in Mulroy Bay and Scraggy Bay in Lough Swilly last summer.

I am convinced the addition of muppet helps with both species though I've not narrowed it down to colours ............................ yet!

Must try red.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:08 pm

The guy I saw using themwas using bright green ones. It seems like its worth a try. Does procast sell these? Nearest thing I could see on the web site were the calamari imitations.

Donagh

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:55 am

Veals have 3", 5" and 7":

http://veals.co.uk/acatalog/Veals_Catal ... s_103.html

Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:09 am

none in stock, but I can get them - Jim from Cork bought that last batch, caught a load of nice ling on them apparently - not from shore though (woulda been some cast ! ) :D

Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:43 pm

I have used baited hokkai's myself to catch dab but I always wonder if baited muppets are used when legering for doggies in the boats while inshore fishing, does this not mean that they would be just as good to use off the shore?

Muppets from the shore

Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:57 pm

I have had success using small muppets from rock ledges to catch pollack. I wrap lead wire arond the hook shank and jiggle the muppet. It is akin to fly fishing ! Perhaps ! Anyhow it works at certain times of the year when pollack are feeding on something similar to the muppets. The ones I use are a rather bland creamy colour. In fact I often see the pollack inspecting the muppets and not taking.

Peter