Gunwell

Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:21 am

Anyone know where exactly is this mark near Killybegs? From my map it appears to be near Rotten Island, or maybe it's Rotten Island itself, if it's walkable at low water. I'd be grateful for any info from Donegal members.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:09 pm

I've got a pretty good map at home - I'll get back to you tomorrow (Tuesday).

I've fished facing Rotten Island a few times, generally at high tide. I fish there for Wrasse and its about a 30-40 foot drop into the water. Rotten Island is not accessible even at low tide.

There are rock platforms more or less at sea level about 40 yards east of the high ground facing Rotten Island. The water is not too deep but apparently you get good Pollock there.

I'll try and locate Gunwell tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:55 am

My good map is not as good as I thought as it doesn't show it - sorry.

I'll ask Johnny McCormack who fishes down there more often than me.

Cheers,

Arthur

The Gunwell

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:07 am

Just follow the road as far as you can towards the Rotten Island, it ends at a small boulder beach. Park here and climb small hill to right of beach until you are looking back in towards Killybegs. The mark is easily recognised as just above the rocks there is a perflectly flat bit of grass (looks unnaturally flat), ideal for throwing a tent on and fishing off.

Its a decent mark and is usually fairly sheltered. First 20 yards is rough(wrasse, pollock, conger) but the rest is clean, mainly sand but with odd mud patch (doggies, flats). Its deep too, round 9 fathoms at high water so there is always a chance of something unusual. Hope this helps.

Pete

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:25 am

Guys, can't thank you enough. I'll let you know how I get on when Iget around to fishing it!

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:51 am

Where exactly is Rotten Island? Heading to St Johns Point at the weekend, might do a bit of exploring.