FISHING IN THE SLIGO NORTH WEST REGION

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:11 pm

I AM LOOKING FOR A FAVOUR, ILL BE FISHING A BOAT COMPETITION IN SLIGO THIS SATURDAY. I HAVE NEVER FISHED FUTHER NORTH THAN WESTPORT BEFORE. AND I'M WONDERING CAN ANY BODY TELL ME ABOUT LIKELY SPECIES TO BE ENCOUTERED UP HERE AND WHAT TACTICS WORK BEST. I WAS ALSO HOPING TO DO SOME SHORE FISHING ON SUNDAY, AND ANY LOCAL VENUE INFORMATION WOULD BE MUCH APPRECITATED, WHAT TACTIC AND WHERE BAIT COLECTION IS POSSIBLE. TAHNKS.

Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:29 am

I was hoping someone would else would reply to you as I'm in the same boat as you (Pardon the pun :roll: ). Have you checked here:
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... 0sligo.htm
also
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/boat ... 0sligo.htm
You're probably heading out from Mullaghmore so you've got the the whole of Donegal Bay at your disposal to the north which has all the usual suspects and Blue fin tuna to boot :shock:.

Shore fishing from Mullaghmore:
The harbour (Clean ground) is good for flatties even the odd pollack :shock: (I was surprised) apparantly along the inside of the breakwater is a good spot for them.
The north west side of the Peninsula is supposed to be good (Rough ground) but I've never tried it as it was always too rough any time I've been down there.

As for the boat thing I'm afraid I'm only going out for my first time in a few weeks so I'm not much help.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:46 am

thanks very much for the advise, ill just have to give it a go. ill let you know how i get on. thanks

Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:55 am

Sorry boys, saw this too late to be of any help.

Hope you's got on OK.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:39 pm

Hello, Mullaghmore is a great spot for boat fishing, was there last August and caught about 8-10 different spices on day and have another trip booked for September, Good size Cod 10-12lb, 4-5lb Pollock, and 15-20lb ling , I forgot the Rag worm on the Day but sjipper told me if i we had it we would have been laughing.The Kiwi Gail, now i think it is changed to the Kiwi Girl, the Skipper is excellent.