Bull huss in Dublin Bay

Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:44 pm

What would be the best bait, hook size and time of day to fish for bull huss off the shore? I want to catch one off the baily.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:51 pm

Off the Bailey, George? hmmm....cant imagine the success rate being very high from there. For the Huss, i would tend to try Lions Head, or just past Redrock before id even think of the Bailey for those big fellas. Even the east pier, casting seaward would be a decent spot. Nice rough ground....and on a flooding tide would be perfect territory. As for hooks and bait.....stick a Mackerel flapper on a 4/0, should do the trick!

Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:26 pm

Huss have been caught off web's castle rock in the past so I'm sure there is a chance.

Huss

Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:58 am

Try the left handside of the Bailey at low tide. If this co-incides with darkness you'll have a much better chance.

I have caught them here on rag/mackeral combo's, and the success rate has doubled when the bait is sprayed with WD 40. I would suggest using all fish baits, either a large strip of mackeral, or a mackeral/sandeel wrap. If you are fishing two rods, try one with WD40 and one without.

Bailey

Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:08 pm

By the way, I'm not familiar with the name Webb's Castle Rock at all? The place I caught them was the rocks down to the left of the gates (turn immediately left at the gate, follow the trail to the fence, hop over it and go straight down the cliff to the platforms on the end).

Are we talking about the same place here? The bottom here is quite sandy, there are very few snags? Although it's best to cast out to the right into the current, where the ground is slightly rougher, than straight out from the platforms.

Are we talking about the same place here? If not, how do I get to there?

Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:35 pm

Steve,

If you turn left before you go through the gates, as though you're taking the cliff walk, you'll see, to your right, the very narrow "bridge" leading Castle Rock. Casting is from a high point, so fish may be lost on retrieval.
If you know Howth well, its between the Bailey and the only beach on that stretch called Whitewater Brook....speaking of which, has anybody fished from this little beach?

Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:32 pm

I haven't fished this beach but a friend of mine fished it during the week and blanked (but he has a habit of blanking) . But while fishing last saturday i saw a small boat working the bay . I seen them catch small pollack . They were drifting cose to the shore which means there is deep water close in .

Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:09 pm

Oh he has a habit of blanking alright! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regarding this beach I would say it would fish much the same as Glenaveena although the water is deeper, giving more pollack and wrasse. Wes is the name of this beach "whitewater brook" or is this the name of the whole bay :?:

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:14 pm

lads i have fished this beach before, on the map i had it was called whitewater cove. the ground is mainly rocks and kelp with the odd sandy patch and is quite shallow. the problem with this beach is getting the fish back through the rocks. large king rag produced wrasse and pollack. never landed the larger fish because they wouldn't let me! overcast day is better. use sea match aberdeens and rotten bottom links. flat leads don't snag unless you are unlucky but using grips are a bad idea. cast as far as you can for most bites, 150 yards plus. i have caught fish closer to shore- try the rocky outcrops on either side but again lost fish in snags. the problem with this spot is the (more often than not)need to cast out to the current which requires 15lb. mainline. tried 35lb. before with shock and fell short and subsequently got little in the way of fishy attention. i did see a seal struggle with a decent flattie which he caught about 80 yards out. a stranger happening was striking into a great bite only to reel in half a hook? if anyone has any ideas? i have only fished here 3 or 4 times so it might fish differently for u's.....hope this is of help.