Importance of fishing industry to Kilkeel

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:46 pm

This is the short version
Part 1

Speaking after the meeting!!!!!

The fishing industry in Kilkeel which accounts for one in 10 jobs in the area has been decimated.

Between 1992 and 2002 565 fishermen were made redundant - adecline of 68% - and in the past six years there has been a 25% reduction in the number of fishing boats over 10metres long.

As the latest round of vessel decommissioning comes to an end," she continued, " there are plans to introduce a scheme that will further reduce the whitefish fleet in the six counties.

The seafood industry is at the heart of the social and economic life of the fishing communities in South Down, whose three major ports represented 63% of the total tonnage and value of landings in the north.

but I believe that with proper planning and co-operation there is a sustainable long term future for the industry."

END QUOTE

Dave

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:47 pm

Part 2

What a load of crap, it is well seen that a "euro candidate" is looking for votes.

and as usual they don't know what they are talking about.

565 fishermen were made redundant.
there is an average of 4 fishermen on a boat.
smaller ones 10 - 12 mtr, 2 or 3 men per boat, usually 2, bearing in mind this person who thinks that they can be an MEP are only takling about this place "KILKEEL" do your own sums.
proper planning and co-operation there is a sustainable long term future for the industry."

Here again, as usual far too little and by 5 - 15 years late.

This is what I say,
Ban all gill netting in UK and IRELAND waters and bring in a six mile trawling limit for a start.
All boats being decommissioned, sink them out at sea, not in a bloody sand pit...........

Dave

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:49 pm

Hello all,

Had to have my say on that one.

What do you lot think, can we start the ball rolling,

ban gill netting

Have your say.

Dave

importance of fishing industry to kilkeel

Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:20 pm

ban them all, filled there pockets when the fish where there no crying then.now there is nothing left there crying.very short sighted people ,the damage they have done to fish stocks will never be repaired.