Braid for spinning

Fri May 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi guys,
Is there anyone using braid for spinning at the moment?
Is it worth the expense?
JK

Fri May 28, 2004 5:22 pm

I used to use braid for Pike Fishing ( Spinning and sink & draw ). And found very little difference from Mono.
If you get a knot in the braid it is very akward to get out and time consuming.
I have'nt tried it spinning at Sea.

Braid

Fri May 28, 2004 6:57 pm

Dave_B wrote:I used to use braid for Pike Fishing ( Spinning and sink & draw ). And found very little difference from Mono.
If you get a knot in the braid it is very akward to get out and time consuming.
I have'nt tried it spinning at Sea.

I use it on all my spinning reels, sea and fresh. For the same line diameter, you get a much stronger line: this is important when pulling a snagged lure - you have half a decent chance of getting your plug back. Started on ultralight for trout - 4lb line would break and leave my plug in the tree - 15lb braid and I can sometimes pull free. Same for plugs getting caught in seaweed (20 or 30lb), though you're not always successful. I always use a short mono rubbing leader - easier to tie on the plug also. I get cheap dyneema braid from UK Hooks.

Fri May 28, 2004 7:11 pm

I have used braid for spinning alot, just a few points to note:
1) It can tend to "bed in" so a few casts may be a good idea before you start your session.
2) It will cause horrendous knots in the line if you try and cast too hard with it
I still prefer mono though, dont ask me why, because braid has loads of advantages, maybe its the fact that it isnt as strong and you need to use your clutch more, giving a much more sporting experience! :D

Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:10 am

One of my favourite topics. Being new to the forum I just noticed this thread. To be honest, I don't know why everyone that does some spinning, especially plugging, doesn't use braid. If you are plugging with a rapala J11 (small jointed plug) unless you use 8 - 10lb mono you are not going to get the distance you are looking for with you cast. 10lb mono you say, no problem for bass fishing. We'll your right, but normally when plugging for Bass your fishing over some very shallow ground and if your plug gets caught up...... kiss it goodbye :evil: Braid is the answer to this problem. 20lb or 30lb braid has the same diameter as 8 or 12lb mono. There are newer braids on the market now with even finer diameters. I know that sounds a little heavy for those of us that are sporting, but what's so sporting about a fish breaking off with a couple of trebles in it's mouth. That fish is a dead fish for sure, and you’re still down €15 bucks to replace your plug. I don't like to be too heavy with any fish I catch so I just slacken off the drag on the reel a bit. This will allow you to play the fish nicely. Personally I use 30lb braid. I have straightened hooks pulling out of kelp. If I really know the area I am fishing I will sometimes switch to 20lb which can add a little distance to my cast when fishing some of the smaller lighter plugs. I don't use any mono at all but it could be a good idea if you fishing deeper over rough ground to help against any rubbing.

Someone mentioned that they didn't notice any difference when using braid. Braid has little to no stretch. This means that you feel a whole lot more when fishing with braid. You can feel the plug swimming away. If it bumps a rock you notice immediately and if using floating plugs, you can stop your retrieve allowing the plug to float up and over the rock. When you start with braid this can be a bit off putting because every rock you hit you’re convinced it's a fish. Trust me, when a fish hits you'll know it especially if you've had a couple of slow hours, because of that low stretch the rod can nearly be pulled from your hands.

This is just half of it on braid but I think it will help most people who are thinking of switching.

MAC

braid

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:01 pm

Trying to bump this thread