bass close season......

Thu May 27, 2004 10:36 pm

just a wee note to let everyone that are still fishing for bass in the tramore area that it is the close season. word has it in a local tackle shop of a 13 pound fish taken and a lot of other fish in the 6-8 pound bracket landed and taken home for the pot. not to mention the people who take more than the 2 fish in 24 hours. in all fairness this is taking the piss......

regulations

Fri May 28, 2004 9:23 am

Theres a general ignorance about the regulations. Theres a need for signs at all bass marks. Theres not alot you can do about those that know and ignore.

Donagh

Fri May 28, 2004 2:56 pm

I do not agree that there is nothing can be done about illegal bass fishing inside or outside the closed season. Although there are boats netting Bass in and around Tramore and other areas, if anyone contacts the Southern Fisheries office in Clonmel they will be only too happy to give you the name of the local bailiff, who I think is living in the area. All it takes is a phone call with good details and they will watch the area for illegal activity. Signs are of little benefit as they were put in Saleens and were torn down and shot down very soon afterwards. The season is closed May 15th to June 15th but lots of small fish are taken which do not measure 430mm at other times. It is only with the help of the public and other anglers that we will be able to stop these greedy so called anglers. Ignorance is no excuse

Fri May 28, 2004 4:39 pm

I wasn't defending their actions. If you can catch a decent sized bass you should know the regs. Iwas just pointing out that from my experience alot of people don't know whats illegal. If it wasn't for the internet I wouldn't of known the regs. Huge fines aren't going to be imposed unless large numbers have been taken.

Donagh