Portmarnock Martello Tower

Wed May 26, 2004 1:57 pm

Another one for you guys...
Has anyone fished the outcrop of rocks at the martello tower in Portmarnock?
It looks like it may have a couple of bass knocking around.
Please help - I'm looking for a couple of new marks to try this summer...
Thanks
JK

Wed May 26, 2004 2:12 pm

I was looking at that too ..
mmm

Wed May 26, 2004 2:50 pm

I met an English fella last year who caught a schoolie there (I think it was in September). I doubt that they are caught that frquently though. One place that has stuck in my memory is the rocky areas between portrane and donabate. This looks like terrific bass country, and I know Pat from Henry's Tackle shop has taken several large bass here over recent years.

Wed May 26, 2004 3:07 pm

Its all cliffs there, isnt it?

Wed May 26, 2004 6:29 pm

Is the tower on velvet strand?

Wed May 26, 2004 6:33 pm

I think the place is called highrocks . I was talking to a fella who fishes there for bass on early morning tides using plugs . He has had them to 9lb .
Last edited by SOD on Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 26, 2004 6:59 pm

You were stalking a fella now were ye :wink:

Wed May 26, 2004 7:01 pm

I know the place now , its when you are driving towards malahide on the coast before Oscar Taylors. :oops:

Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:17 am

I have fished this streach of rocks quite a bit, but not for a while. I have had fish to 6lbs, but to be honest you have to put in a lot of time before you get one. You could be lucky and just turn up and get one. Weekends are very off putting during the summer. Everyone and their dog wants to ask you what your doing and you get the odd fu*ker throwing stones at you. Now I just drive down to Waterford and get some beaches to myself.

MAC

Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:33 am

Hi Mac,

What tactics/bait do you normall use for bass fishing from rocks and surf :?:
If you use lures from rocks what ones do you find most successful :?:
Never caught a bass :( and would like to give it a go.:P

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:38 pm

Hi Adrian,

Try Bob Moss's book "The third breaker" for surf fishing or "Hooked on bass" for rough and lure fishing for bass.

Donagh

Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:07 pm

Hows it going Adrian,

99% of my Bass fishing is plugs. I have a riduclus amount of plugs. :D For the craic I'll take a picture tonight and post it here tomorrow morning. Do I need all these :wink: nope. To be honest I could probably limit myself to 3. For deaper water the Rapala Huskyjerk. The silver mackeral colour is the business. For fishing over shelves of deep and shallow water (provides the best results) I could pick one small and one big lure. The small would be Rapala J11. This is a small jointed lure that will dive to 3 feet max. Now here's the tip for all you guys that want to give plug fishing a go. If I were allowed just ONE plug it would be the original "Jointed Thunderstick" by Storm Lures. This thing is the dogs. The really bad news is that they dont sell them any more. A good friend of mine and bass fisherman Henry from Henrys Tackle Shop in Dublin has managed to get himself probably the last few of these aroud. They are going fast and the UK anglers are snapping them up. Personally I fish the Black and silver which he does not have but the speckeled trout is very close in colour and I've seen a Bass of 9.5lb caught on one of these. Bob Moss raves about the firetiger as well and Henry also has these.

Tactics.

Find an area of rocky ground that is exposed at low tide. It's best to do all you looking during low water.
Now wait until high water and start your fishing.
Look for the features. Like where waves are slapping over a rock or where you get small breakers forming over some shallow ground. These are the types of places you should be looking at working your lure over. This is where the floating lures come in handy. You can cast right at the rock or over the rock and work your plug slowly over the rock, with a wave. Once you've cleared the rock start your retrieve. I get a lot of fish during this part of the retrieve. Work the plug all the way in. I've caught quite a few Bass under the rod tip. Once I was testing how a lure was swimming underneath a rock I was standing on. A 3lb Bass came from no where and slammed into the lure.

It sure is a great way yo catch bass

Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi Mac,

Interesting stuff. Do you ever plug/lure fish estuaries. Low tide seems to be the preferred time for this.

Only 9 days till I'm in dingle to put this into practice.
Donagh

Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:27 pm

Mac, Donagh,

Lads thanks for the info.

Mac,

This may sound like a strange question and stems from some reading I've been doing about bass: When you are lure fishing for Bass have you ever noticed that you will repeatedly take fish at the exact same feature (As you draw the lure past a particular spot) on different days :?:

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:24 am

I was thinking of trying this stretch of rocks between dondabate and portrane this weekend. That's if I can do enough work around the house to earn the brownies!!!
Given that this is a long enough stretch of coast, would I be better off parking in Dondabate and heading north or parking in Portrane and heading south.
Any guidance would be gratefully accepted.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:19 pm

Hi Adrian,

I have never given the esturies a go. I tend to do all my bass fishing over broken rocky ground. I have been promising myself a go at rogerstown for a couple of seasons.

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi lads,
I,ve tried Portrane 4 times this year with no joy.
One of the lads says to go to the right of the car park in Portrane and not left onto the beach area as I did. I am hoping to get out on sunday pm for a few mins - Difficult at the moment with the house needing plenty of work!!!!
JK